Chapter: 48

N A T A L I A

We eventually returned to the house, where Grace had prepared a late afternoon meal, though no one seemed to have an appetite.

Rhea sat with Marcus, who provided comfort as she focused on her healing. I was glad she was stable, and knew Caia wouldn't stand for their leader hurting. The last thing that I wanted was more enemies after of course learning she was alright.

Noah was also present. He was silently observing everyone, not having said a word the entire time.

Meanwhile, Ivy and Luke engaged in a hushed conversation by the kitchen island, discussing the recent events.

Felix conversed with Callum, but I tuned out, memories of the recent ordeal flooded my mind.

Though my tears had dried, I felt hollow, my wolf offering silent solace, trying to be the pillar of strength.

Callum stole glances in my direction, acknowledging the turmoil within me but refrained from intruding. He respected my need for space, stopping even from communicating through our mind link.

In a way, I appreciated the solitude he gave me, feeling bewildered by the recent events.

In the span of a month, I had lost my mother, watched my sister assume the clan title without my support, and discovered she was my half-sister. I had found my mate, and now lived as the Luna of the pack.

Anger coursed through me at the fact that Glenda had deceived both Rhea and me. She had claimed we were twins, and had tasked me with protecting my sister as the rightful heir to the title.

"Are you alright?" Callum's voice snapped me out of my reverie as he approached me, his arm encircling my waist and drawing me closer.

"I'm okay," I replied, resting my head against his chest. "Just a lot to process. How's the pack? Are they safe?"

"They're fine," he reassured, planting a gentle kiss to my temple. "No one will dare harm you or our people again."

Tears welled up in my eyes once more at the realisation that my own parents posed a threat to me, with their death as consequence. It saddened me deeply, as I had spent my life longing for a loving family. Only now, the hope was completely diminished.

Before Callum could say more, Felix intervened, joining us.

"The pack is secure," he confirmed. "We've checked the surrounding territories, everything's clear."

"Good," Callum responded, squeezing my waist in reassurance. "Natalia and I will convene a meeting with the pack tomorrow to update them."

His words made me glance up at him, feeling uncertain about the timing of such an announcement. It wasn't that I doubted Felix's assessment, I simply felt cautious.

"Are you sure about the timing?" I whispered, meeting Callum's questioning gaze.

"There will never be a perfect time," he replied simply. "But they deserve to know what's going on, for their safety."