Chapter: 23

N A T A L I A

Despite my lack of pride in my mother for how she had raised me, Callum's words stirred conflicting emotions within me.

After all, she was still my mother.

As we sat at the dinner table in our home later on that evening, with Callum across from me, my mind wandered, causing me to absentmindedly twist my fork in my food. I had no appetite.

"You should eat," Callum's voice broke through my thoughts.

I lifted my head to meet his concerned blue eyes.

"I don't want you to hurt my mother," I confessed, my voice lower than I expected.

Callum finished chewing his food before responding. He set down his knife and fork and placed his hands on the table.

"I hope it won't come to that," he said. "I understand she's still your mother and any harm that comes to her will hurt you deeply."

"I'll try to reason with her," I said optimistically.

"If she harms you or our people in any way," Callum's tone turned stern. "I won't show mercy."

"She won't hurt anyone," I quickly added.

"You can't be certain of that," he responded. "Our people depend on us to guide and protect them. I won't let them down, even if it's concerning your mother."

I nodded in understanding, not really able to form a coherent response.

Callum was an Alpha, the whole pack relied on him. He was mated to me, and as their Luna, I shared equal responsibilities to protect the pack.

He was making an effort, that much was clear. I was hoping Glenda would accept my new home, but something told me that was impossible.

My mind drifted back to the blonde and the strain she was putting on my relationship with Callum. My wolf wanted him, but because of the disrespect, I couldn't help but remain withdrawn.

Callum still hadn't disclosed anything about her. I felt inclined to kick her out of the pack, not because of her past involvement with Callum, but due to her blatant disrespect.

"I'll ask Grace to prepare something else for you," Callum suggested at last, coming around to take my plate but I stopped him.

"Don't," I declined. "I don't have an appetite."

"Is there something else bothering you?" he inquired, leaning against the table, his gaze hard.

My eyes remained fixed on my untouched meal. With everything unfolding, food was the last thing on my mind. The thought of it alone was making me feel nauseous.

My relationship with Callum had progressed very quickly, and only now was I taking a moment to process it all.

With his index and thumb, Callum gently lifted my chin, urging me to meet his gaze.

"I hate seeing you like this," he muttered, his jaw tense and eyes dark.

My wolf yearned for him, for his embrace, and I could sense his internal struggle with his own. But before I could respond, a loud knock reverberated through the entire house.