22.

Adhira stirred from her sleep, feeling the discomfort in her leg, that disturbed her peaceful slumber. Sleepily, she rubbed her eyes, missing the warmth she had been enveloped in, the night before.

With a yawn, she finally opened her eyes and sat up in bed, taking a moment to shake off the remnants of sleep that still clung to her.

As she reached for her phone on the bedside table, Adhira's eyes darted to the screen, only to widen the next moment,
it was 10 in the morning.

She leaped out of bed, hastily gathering her hair into a messy bun. As her feet touched the floor, she glanced down, her eyes drawn to the fabric encircling her ankle.

She lowered herself back onto the edge of the bed, unravelling the cloth. She breathed a sigh of relief, noticing that the swelling had significantly reduced and the pain had subsided as well as, as she walked.

Grabbing the first pair of clothe that caught her eye, she rushed to the bathroom for a quick shower. Post the shower, she dressed herself in a sea green suit and styled her hair in elegant plaits.

Adding a touch of gloss to her lips, she applied the sindoor to her hairline, before completing her look with a small red bindi.

As she headed downstairs, she encountered Saanvika in the dining area, peeling the vegetables for lunch.

"How's your foot now?" Saanvika asked, her eyes conveying concern as she motioned Adhira to take a seat.

"Much better now," Adhira replied, pulling out a chair for herself. "I don't know how I got so late today." She whispered in a low voice.

"No worries, Vikram mentioned you were exhausted, so I decided not to disturb you." Her reassuring gaze met Adhira's.

"Just wait here, I'll bring you breakfast." She offered before disappearing into the kitchen.

After five minutes, Adhira sat at the dining table, toying with the food on her plate, her thoughts drifting aimlessly.

"Where's Ritika, Choti Maa?" She inquired, not noticing her anywhere around.

"Woh toh Vikram ke saath chali gayi, beta. It was her first day at the office today, so Vikram dropped her." She explained, as she rose from her seat, with the chopped vegetables in her hand.

[She went with Vikram]

A pang of jealousy and hurt washed over Adhira as she realized he prioritized Ritika over her. Didn't he claim last night that he was going to take her to meet her family? But here, Mr. Golu was offering to drop Ritika. Didn't even care to check up on her since the morning.

• • •

On the other hand, Vikram found himself unable to focus in his office. Restlessly, he twirled the paperweight on his desk, as he leaned back in his chair, his mind was consumed by the thoughts of his wife.

Somewhere he was feeling guilty of leaving her alone, when she was not well. But what could he do? It was important for him to attend the office today.

Sometimes he really thinks if he's the right person for her. She's too good for him. Even last night, she had accepted his apology in a matter of a minute, no complaints, no tantrums, nothing.

As the ping of his phone pierced the silence, his attention was immediately drawn to the glowing screen. Reaching out for it, he tapped on the recent message he received from his Choti Maa.