CHAPTER 1: A FLASH OF SILVER

"Fayre, pass me the knife" the head chef hollered as the kitchen was in a rush, trying to prepare lunch in time.

It almost seems like everyone is in sync, as everyone goes about their works without bumping into each other. The chefs going about trying to prepare the foods, the kitchen maids trying to make the kitchen clean, the serving maids trying to pack foods to serve, everywhere seems like chaos at the same time sync. To some, it might seem chaotic and to some refreshing but to me, I just want to get the day over with and return to bed.

My name is Fayre, just Fayre, I have no last name as all I can remember is being a slave in King Luca's castle. Apparently, the castle's head maid found me lying by the street when I was just a baby. Ever since then I grew up among the servants, they mostly consist of humans. Since the supernatural took over thousands of years ago, the ancestors of our present King Luca have ruled over the earth.

The supernatural consist of different creatures you could ever imagine, werewolves, fairies, vampires', witches, but the Royals are supernatural beings with unnatural powers, gifted with a dragon of their own, the dragons are born alongside with them. Each dragon reflect their owner's emotion, so a psychopath royal result in a crazy dragon killing everything on sight.

I have only seen one of those creatures closeby in my entire life, which to my unexisted luck is the deadliest of them all, King Luca's very own silver dragon.

King Luca is a man feared by many, he is ruthless, uncaring and some even call him the devil. Lucky for me, all 20 years of my life, I have never laid my eyes on him, I'm just a kitchen slave so I'm always happy to announce that our part will never cross. So, me seeing the silver dragon for the first time, at least closely, I'm very ashamed to say I peed my pants that very day.

However, I thought I was going to die that day, I was only eighteen then, when a poor servant made the mistake of spilling the King's breakfast which resulted in the chefs starting the foods again. Not five minutes later we all heard a loud thump on the roof of the kitchen before it broke under the massive weight of a silver dragon, and the said creature made the kitchen a blood bath. The predator was hauntingly beautiful even as I stood at a corner terrified out of my mind, the way it moved with elegance as it found it prey was daunting, how I survived is still a mystery to me. I cart stop having nightmares since then.

That happened just because of a late breakfast. I wonder what would happen if someone stole his food instead.

'Do you have a death wish, stop daydreaming and get to work" Falcon the head maid yelled at me. Immediately I went back to work. I may not have much to live for, but I don't want to be the lunch of a deranged dragon.

"Don't get him angry Fayre, you don't want him reporting you to the Head maid" Mary a friend of mine and my roommate whispered to me.

"Don't mind me. I got lost in thought for a moment" I whispered back to her as I started cleaning the counter.

Once lunch is done all I need to do is clean the Kitchen with other appointed servants and slaves till dinner than after dinner we clear the Kitchen before going to bed, we have intervals to eat by the way. It is a lot of work, but I prefer it any day to serving anyone because it always end up bad especially for those serving the royals.

Mary used to serve one of the lords and it was hell, she always end up in the room with bruises and wounds, she only got lucky because the said lord died so she was transferred to kitchen duties. I don't know how we turned out to be slaves or servants, but it seems we were born into it, not all of us are humans, but most are, we are considered to be too weak to be used for anything else, order than run errands. Most supernatural that are slaves or servants were demoted because of a sin they committed, it is the worst and lowest humiliation for them.