CHAPTER 3: THE CELL SWITCH

'It seems like the world is against me today' I thought as I sat on the cold floor of the cell.
I have only always heard of the dungeon, but I have never had any reason to come down here, but seems the world is totally against me today, is it not unfair how I literarily did nothing wrong save for getting scared and I landed in the cell.

It smells horrible and it is so dark in here with no touch of light.

I hate being in an enclosed place, it scares me and now I cannot even see a thing, I feel suffocated, I did not even know I was crying until I felt the tears run down my cheeks.
Is it a sin to be born a human, why could I not have remained an angel or something in heaven. If I knew that something like this was going to happen, I would have at least delayed my work and finished later so I would not have to go and refill their drinks.

"I am so hungry" I cried sniffing, I have not had anything to eat since breakfast.
I am so hungry and cold, I don't know what is going to happen to me now. I probably should have fled when I had the chance to, but to where?

I started crying again feeling pity for my pathetic self, and before I knew it, I succumb to the darkness that was calling me.

....

"I thought he said it was a blonde" I heard a voice faintly as I was slowly coming back to my consciousness.

"Well, he is probably mistaken, he clearly said she is to be in cell 26" another voice replied.

"Let us tie her up then" the first voice said finally startling me awake.

What? Tie who up?

"What is happening?" I questioned with my crooked voice, earning me a slap to the face.
Heavens that was painful.

"You should not talk without permission thief" the same first voice yelled at me while the tied both my hands up.

'Are they finally here to punish me?' I cannot even see their faces clearly which makes it even more scary.

"Next time rethink before trying to steal from the palace" the second man said making me confused.

"I did not.....haaaa!" I did not get to complete my sentence as a scream ripped from my mouth when the first lash of a wipe met my back.

"Do not speak without permission, now count" the first man said as I could not even hold my cries in. It felt like someone tore into my back then put tiny needles in it.

Another lash landed on my back, and I couldn't stop the scream that tore from my lips.

"I said count" the same guard said, and I wondered how someone could be so wicked.
I cannot stop the tears falling down my face and the cries falling from my lips as I was in agony.

Another lash landed on my back and shakily I started counting.

"Good girl" he said, I do not even know if the second guard is even still there.

Lash after lash, I lost count at 47 or so until it almost seems like my life is leaving my body.
I was in too much pain to realize when he even stopped.

At this moment, is it a sin to pray for death.
I cried as blood was rushing out of the wound from my back. I am probably going to die in this cell, in this or getting killed by the dragon, I do not know which one would have been better.

I was just thinking about it today that I have never been punished so bad and now I can say I have, how funny!

I distantly heard the sign of the cell door being closed and locked leaving me back by myself thinking about almost how my life seemed so perfect compared to everything that has happened to me today while I silently groaned in agony, sobs passing through my lips.

.......

I do not know if it has been a day, but every minute seems like a year of agony as I laid on the cold cell floor together with an unbearable sadness. It seems like a tough job to keep my eyes opened but I am scared of passing out and never waking up again.

"OH MY GOD" I heard a yell before someone ran up to me, I can see the head maid's blurry figure looking at me wide eyed.

"Fayre" Mary sobbed as she gently removed the chain around my arms and supported me to a sitting position, flinching at my cries of pain.

"What happened" Head maid Victoria asked, her voice eerily calm.

Suddenly a laugh burst out of my lips, croaky yes but still a laugh and both of them looked at me confused probably wondering if I have gone crazy.

I do not know why I am laughing either and I could not control when that laughter turned to tears, maybe I am actually going crazy.

"I was wiped" I finally answered and the head maid raised an eyebrow.

"I figured but that is not what I am asking" she said.

"What?" I choked out.

"Why were you wiped? The instruction was to keep you here till this morning" she said.

"It seems the guards mistook me for someone else" I muttered, already on the verge of passing out.

I barely saw the head maid nodding her head before black dots filled my vision and I finally succumb to the expected darkness.

My solace
.......

The next time I opened my eyes, I was back in the maids quarters.

I groaned in pain as I could feel the raw burning pain in my back, I was laid on my stomach and it is so hard and painful to move, I can feel the trickle of blood running down my back.

I heard the sound of the door open and close but I cannot even dare to move to check who entered but I soon hear Mary's voice.

"You are awake" she said gently as she carefully sat by me. Our roles are switched, I used to be the one treating and taking care of her and now she is the one treating me.

She started cleaning my back with a cold towel and I resisted the urge to scream out loud, it was pure torture as I bit down my lips.

I have never felt this much pain before in my life.

I cursed the two guards as I fell back to my solace.