CHAPTER 13: A CLUELESS PRINCESS

It is a new day, the day I'll be travelling with the King for the grand ball. The thought of leaving the comfort of my bed and facing him this morning is dreadful, I hardly got any sleep so I've been up to bath and prepare myself. I've always enjoyed waking up early so I can have the bath to myself and not have other maids staring at my nakedness.

I have like 10 minutes more before I'll need to take his breakfast up, I heard we're leaving after breakfast.

"Are you fine?" Mary said as soon as she entered the room, coming from the bath.

"Yes I am" I answered and she looked at me for a minute before shrugging and moving away to dress herself.

"While you are away Fayre, please remember to stay out of trouble" she said.

"Why does everyone keep telling me that like I'm a kid?" I said feeling weird, I always stay out of trouble but trouble just keeps finding me these days.

"I don't know who the everyone are but I know something has been going on these days and you're in the middle of it" she said.

"So you're blaming me now?" I snapped making her turn to me sharply, giving me a confused look. I know, I know, I've never snapped at anyone not to talk of Mary but I think my sleepless night is getting to me.

"What's going on with you Fayre?" She said gently as she came to sit beside me on my bed.

"I'm so confused" I said burying my head in my hands and she tried comforting me by putting her hands around me but it's not working, nothing would work, I just need the King.

Wait!

Wait!!

Hold up!!!!

"Fayre!" Mary called snapping me out of my short predicament.

"Hmm" I answered.

"I said you will talk to me if anything is really going on right?" She asked.

"Yes, but not now, I'll tell you everything when we're back from the journey, if not we'll be late for our duties" I said standing up and pulling her along and she nodded.

"Okay, be safe" she said hugging me tight and we both left for the kitchen.

We got to the kitchen and Mary quickly moved to her work station while I went to meet the chef for the King's food basket.
It didn't take long for me to be on my way to his chamber, each step I take, my heart keeps beating faster. It felt like I was moving to a death door. The walk seems faster than normal as I got to his front guards in no time. I bowed my head waiting for them to check me but they just gave me access in, they are probably used to seeing my face around here.

I walked into his lounge and there he was staring at me like a predator who has been patiently waiting for his prey.

"Y-Your highness" I stuttered bowing my head and he just waved his hand without saying a word. That hurt.

I placed the food basket down and started arranging it in front of him with nervous hand, all the while his eyes were still on me without stray. Why is he looking at me for heavens sake?!

He gestured for me to sit and I just stood there dumbfounded until he raised an eyebrow so I sat on the other side of the table quickly. He served two plates and placed one in front of me and I got that little minute to admire him since he was too busy serving to look at me but once he dropped the food and he looked up, our eyes met and I think I felt a spark.

He was the first to look away and started eating his food while I just sat there helpless.

"Eat" he finally said with a strained voice. I didn't want to disobey him and I haven't eaten anyway so I picked up the utensil and started eating. Hmm the meal is so delicious, worthy of a King. If I was told a year ago that I'd be sharing a meal with the King or I'll start developing feelings for the King, I'll call the person's bluff.

I was halfway done with my meal when I noticed the King was looking at me and he was just staring at me with the ghost of a smile on his face, it was gone as soon as I raised my head though.

"The guards and maid have left for the ball" he said.

"Why, I thought we were leaving after your breakfast?" I asked.

"Yes we are, we will be flying Orion" he said and my heart jumped in joy that I am receiving special treatment from him.

"Won't people be questioning why you're flying your dragon with a maid?" I asked the obvious.

"You're the King's ma.." he said stopping midway looking like he was biting his tongue.

"You're the King's maid and I can do with my maid whatever I deem fit" he finally said but that word struck a chord making me flare up a bit.

"So you kiss your other maids too, if you deem it fit?" I asked in an annoyed tone hoping with all my heart he will deny it.

He stared at me for a bit before standing up as we felt the weight of the dragon landing on the building.

"You ran" he said coming around the table to me. I stood up as I didn't want to feel so small beside him, well even while standing I'm still small compared to him but it's better than me sitting.

"Yes I did" I said looking up at him feeling lightheaded as his scent clouded my brain. Head maid warned me not to look up at them but he's an exception right?

"Why?" He asked bringing his hand up to palm my cheek. I felt the spark sizzle as soon as his skin came in contact with mine. Is this how it feels when you like someone?

I looked back up at him and he was looking at where our skin came in contact in wonder.

"You finally accept me" he whispered still staring at his palm on my cheek.

"What?" I asked and he looked into my eyes, I could see emotions rushing through him but I can't place my hand on one.

"Never run from me again" he said bringing me closer to him as he cradled my head to his chest, I felt at peace like I finally found my home. If this is how it feels to like someone, I never want it to stop.

"You didn't want to talk to me when I came in?" I said putting my hands around him too and he chuckled.

"You're so clueless" he said.

"That's not true" I whined and he laughed.

"If you looked a little bit closer Princess, you'd have seen I was holding myself from jumping on you and keeping you for myself" he said making my heart skip beats. I blushed and buried my face deeper in his chest closing my eyes and enjoying the moment as he drew me even tighter to him like he didn't want to let me go.

What is happening, I, a kitchen maid is here in the King's chamber being all affectionate with him. The world must not hear of this!

We heard a stump and it's obvious Orion is getting impatient. Within a blink of an eye, I feel myself still in the King's embrace but in front of Orion on the roof of the building with open air everywhere around us.

I blinked up at him and he just smirked shrugging.

"As much as I'll love to remain this way, we need to go now" he said as he brought me forward at arms length looking at me with something close to adoration and I almost choked on my spit. I know once I'm nowhere near him and I have a clear head I'll be doing a lot of thinking.

Orion came and nudged me with his snut and I carefully raised my hand to pat his head which made him growl in satisfaction.

The King rolled his eyes making me laugh and he smiled pulling me away from Orion and helping me sit on his back then he climbed after me. I was wondering why he made me face him.

"Hold on to me until you're stable" he said. Ohh that explains why.

My hand went around his torso and he held me by my waist as I rested my head back on his chest.

And with a powerful takeoff from the roof, we were in the air.

My eyes closed and my hand wrapped tightly around the man I'm falling deeply for.