CHAPTER 11: EMOTIONS

I felt stuck as I witness this bloody scene. A life was taken all because of me, her death is in my hands. I should have kept quiet, if I did then she would still be alive now. This is all my fault.

I was brought out of my thoughts when Mary pulled me away from the scene, she is obviously shaken too.

"Are you okay?" She asked hurriedly while looking all over me.

"He is insane" I whispered finally looking up at her and she gave me a confused look.

"I don't know what happened out there but please be careful with the King" she said holding on to my hands while she rapidly look into my eyes trying to read my emotions.

"I'll see you later" I said hurriedly before running up the stairs back to the King's chamber, angry tears welling up my eyes. Because of him I have someone's death in my conscience.

I was breathing so hard by the time I got to the end of the stairs, I had to stop a bit to catch my breath before matching angrily into his chamber once again ignoring the guards.

He is standing idly looking out the window with a drink in hand like he didn't just order his pet to kill someone.

"Why would you do that?" I yelled ignoring any form of respect I was meant to give him and he turned to me slowly, his eyes flashing red showing he wasn't happy with my attitude.

"What?" He asked tilting his head sideways like a pet dog, if it was a different scenario, I might have found him cute.

"You killed someone!" I yelled frustrated with his nonchalant behavior.

"I didn't, Orion did" he said simply before returning his gaze back out the window.

"It was your order" I yelled again and he just ignored me while sipping his drink, which really angered and frustrated me causing me to walk forward and hit the drink off his hold.

I didn't think!
I forgot where I was and who I was dealing with.

We both watched as his goblet hit the floor and the wine stained the rug, I let out a shaky breath before staring up at his blazing eyes.

Maybe this is the day I'll die.

To my surprise he breath in deeply and just looked away though I could see his clenched jaw and fisted hands which shows his anger but he remained calm as he looked out the window.

"I warned you to always stay out of trouble" he simply said in a quiet voice.

"This isn't about me, it's about you killing her" I said now quietly because I can see he is hanging on a thin thread.

"She hurt you" he said turning to me as his red eyes glued on to the scratch marks.

"Yes she hurt me but that's how things work in the palace, it's all about power, I'm just a maid and she was a high maid" I said suddenly weak, she died because of me, the thought again brought tears to my eyes.

"You should be happy I did, why are you feeling sorry for her, she was not going to stop at just a scratch" he said looking at me like he was really confused.

"Her death is in my hands, she died because of me, how would that make me happy?" I asked as the tears finally rolled down my face.

"You're strange" he whispered, his thumb catching my tears and wiping it off.

"Why do you care?" I finally asked the question that has been troubling me and I can see him emotionally withdrawing from me as his face turned stoic and his hand left my face.

"You're my maid" he said simply.

"She was your maid too" I replied.

"You're special" he said making my heart skip a bit, was Mary right, am I the King's mate?

"Why is that?" I asked again.

"Some things are better left unsaid, cleanup, eat and retire for the day, we have a long journey tomorrow" he said before walking out not giving me a chance to keep questioning him, I sinked to the floor thinking about how my life has been so dramatic lately and I can't help the tears that came after.

There's so much I can handle, I want my peaceful life back, I want my regular days back. Days I didn't know what the King looked like nor do I have fly up hundreds of stairs everyday.

I sighed deciding to really do my job and cleanup, I'm not touching his food, not after what he did today.

It wasn't too hard getting the stain off the rug since it's fresh, I did that quickly and left with my cleaning supplies, the palace is very quiet as I walked down the stairs, everyone is most likely trying extra to stir clear of trouble after today's incident.

I dropped the cleaning supplies before heading to the maid's quarter, Mary was in the room anxiously waiting for me, as she pulled me into the room immediately I entered.

"You took time, I thought he did something to you" she said sitting with me on my bed.

"He doesn't seem like he wants to hurt me" I said.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"I really angered him when I went back into his chamber, he was looking so scary but he didn't do anything to me" I explained.

"Are you trying to get yourself killed" she yelled hitting my shoulder making me glare at her.

"He has never hurt me" I said grumbling.

"It isn't a bad idea to still be careful" she sighed  putting her head in her hands.

She must have been shocked by today's incident too.

"You still have to take up his diner?" She asked and I sighed, can't I skip that?

"I guess"

"You should head to the kitchen to get it, it's almost time and we don't want to anger him" she said patting my back and I nodded standing up with a heavy heart, as it seems like I'd have to face him again.

Time sure moves fast as it seems like it was only minutes ago I was taking up his lunch.

I walked out of the room and back into the kitchen ignoring the stares I was getting, gossip is going to start soon I know.

I walked to the cook that prepares his food and he handed me the food basket.

I left very much not in a hurry as I walked slowly up the stairs. Anything to delay meeting him, as I passed the closet by the stairs, I once again remembered what happened hours ago, he is such an asshole.

I got to his chamber and this time the guards allowed me in without searching me.

Now that I think about it, he told me to retire for today, meaning I didn't need to bring his food up, how could I have forgotten that. I'm here anyways, might as well serve him.

He was not in the lounge when I got there and I packed up the cold untouched lunch into it basket but before I could lay down his dinner I heard the sound of something break in the chamber.

Curiosity got the best of me and I moved slowly to the closed door I head the sound from, I heard a painful groan making me open the door quickly and I'm met with the King's sweating body on the bed, he seems to be in pain so I rushed close to him.

"Your highness" I shouted climbing up his bed to get close to him and his body was burning hot, I was about to run out to look for help but he held me back and shook his head.

"Stay" he gritted out with a painful groan.

"What is happening?" I asked worriedly as I placed his head on my laps, taking the towel on his bedside table to clean his sweat.

"Just stay" he groaned again and I'm left frustrated as I have no idea on what to do.

His breathing suddenly started to come back to normal before finally being stable and be curled more around me, making me aware of the physical contact and the embarrassing position we seem to be in.

"What just happened your highness?" I asked and he just groaned before burying his face deeper around my waistline.

"Shhhh, just five minutes" he whispered shutting me up.

And leaving me confused with different feelings staring in me, my awareness of his face close to my sex isn't helping!