CHAPTER 14: HIS MATE

It was fun looking at the world from up here but as time went, I got bored and dozed off laying my head on his comfortable chest.

I'm having a good dream, a dream of me being free from the chains of supernatural, my King is just a normal man and we were living happily, I have my parents with me and a large family that adore me. Nothing like a flying serpent or werewolves or vampires. I am just living a normal mundane life but it's a dream, and that's all it will ever be.
Reality came crashing down on me and it felt like water being poured on my face bringing me out of my sleep.

I opened my eyes slowly and instead of seeing the clouds, my eyes opened to a roof then a room filled with hunting equipment then to the silver eyes looking down at me.

"You're awake" he said. For some reasons I woke up in a bad mood, partly because I realized I was only dreaming and partly because it's almost the time of the month.

"Yes your highness" I said standing up quickly which gave me a whiplash and I almost fell back dizzy but his hands held onto me and stabilised me.

He gave me a confused look and I just looked away sighing deeply while looking round the room, it seems we're in a hut.

"I had to land us here to avoid suspicious eyes, I'll have my head guard, Theo to come pick you up here, you don't need to worry, it's just a 10 minutes walk" he explained.

That explains it, what King would want to be seen with a maid.

"Alright" I said simply moving out of his hands to walk round the hut.

"I'll be leaving now" he said and I just nodded without looking at him, if I do, I'll end up crying thinking of my miserable life.

I heard his footsteps and I'm tempted to hold on to him and beg him not to leave me with a guard but I restrained myself. I suddenly felt arms wrapping around me and I looked up to see him staring down at me with a soft look, that was when I felt the tears in my eyes but I wouldn't let them fall.

"I'll see you in a bit" he reassured dropping a gentle kiss on my lips before pulling back and the tears eventually fell but he stopped it midway with his thumb.

"I'm sorry" I apologized for being a nuisance and a disturbance.

"I should be sorry for leaving you here" he said and kissed me again but deeper, sucking my lower lip and giving it a gentle bite before releasing me. It brought goosebumps to my body and I couldn't help but relax.

"Your highness" a voice said from out the door jolting me out of my induced state and the King just gave me a reassuring stare before moving away.

"That is Theo, he's my trusted guard so you don't have to worry" he said and I nodded before he started walking out. I'm tempted to pull him back but I didn't, I just watched him leave the hut and heard him speaking to Theo before it all went silent.

Theo walked in and I put a face to the name. He is a bulky melanin man with bulging muscles and a buzz cut hairstyle. He should be 6'1 tall and he has honey coloured eyes.

"We'll leave when you're ready" he said in a deep voice with calculated eyes as he stood by the doorway.

"I'm ready" I said in a low voice and he nodded before he gestured for me to lead the way.

We walked out of the hut and down the only trail around here, it was quiet and uncomfortable as I could feel his eyes on me, not in a creepy manner but I know he has questions, probably wondering why a King is having his most trusted guard to protect a maid. If I was him I would be curious too.

We got to an intersection and I stopped to look back at him, he pointed to the right side and we kept walking.

"We will be going in through the back of the building were you'll join the other maids, they have been told that you were on a special duty to attend to the King" he explained as we walked and I slow down a bit so we can match pace, he noticed but didn't say anything about it.

"I'm sorry to bother you" I said and he looked at me confused.

"Bother?" He asked.

"You should be guarding the King but you're here walking a maid" I explained and he nodded, he looked to the front with a thinking face.

"Any woman that is getting the attention of King Luca can't be just a maid" he said getting me intrigued. He must know the King well, as his trusted guard, he'll be close to the King.

"What do you mean?" I asked him.

"Royalties and noble ones have tried, whether to link him up with their daughters or they want him for themselves, some have even tried to link him with their sons but King Luca is always uninterested, patiently waiting for his mate" he explained. I never considered King Luca to be the type to wait for his soulmate.

"His mate?" I asked and he nodded.

"Yes, his mate, now do you think he'll give up on that just for an ordinary maid" he said with a knowing look but I'm left confused.
Will he leave me when he finds his mate? Of course, he will.

"So what happens to me when he finds his mate?" I asked him and he gave me a look which made me feel stupid.

"You should ask him that, we're here, remember to look down and not stare anyone in the eyes, not everyone is as nice as me" he said and I noticed we were now in front of a building door.

I used to never make mistakes with my manners but spending time with King Luca must be getting to my head.

I nodded looking down at my feet and he sighed before opening the door.