CHAPTER 12: A TEMPTING KISS

"Your highness, you need to get up so I can leave" I repeated with a frustrated sigh as I stared at his sleeping face. I have been in this position for close to an hour and my back is kind of hurting now and I need to get back to the maid quarters before light out.

"Five more minutes" he said again.

"You've been saying that for the past one hour" I grumbled and he slowly opened his eyes.

"What is going on between you and my brother?" He asked catching me off guard, I was really not expecting that.

"What kind of question is that?" I stuttered looking down my lap at him, he looks so hot with his ruffled hair and sleepy eyes lying there on my lap like he didn't just kill someone hours ago. Thinking of that again, I emotionally withdrew from him and made futile attempt to get up, he frowned before sitting up on the bed, and when I was about to get off the bed quickly, he was faster.

He drew me to him by my waist and I almost choked on my own spit.

"What are you doing?" I whispered dumbstruck as I was really close to his face, from this distance, I can see the streaks of brown in his eyes and the tiny freckles scattered on his face, I just need to move a little for my lips to touch his. And ohh I'm tempted, it looks so pink and juicy.

"Eyes up here princess" he said in a smug voice snapping me out of my fantasy induced state which made me struggle against him but I am no match for him.

"Let me go" I grunted

"Why would I do that?" He asked

"Because you have no right to keep me held here" I stated
Dumb me!

"I'm your King" he said simply while dropping a small kiss on my lips before releasing me and I was just frozen there with shock, the only thing moving in my body was my heart that was beating so fast and my eyes that were raising up to meet the King's.

It seems he didn't think of his actions as his eyes were as wide as mine, like saucers.

In that fleeting moment that our eyes were locked, something shifted , it's like the world paused just for us, almost without thinking, I leaned in again, and my lips met his in a soft, hesitant kiss.
I feel greedy, I got a taste and now I want more and more, it took him not more than five seconds to react as his hand came up to hold my head like that of a fragile baby and he deepened the kiss, I feel light headed, almost as if I'm floating and I want to pause and keep this moment forever, I wasn't worrying about him being the King, I am just kissing a man I'm attracted to and he is kissing me back.
Ohh he is!

We pull back slowly and he was staring at me so intense with his hands cradling my cheeks.

"What you do to me" he whispered and I think the shock of my own boldness is finally getting to me. There's a rush of emotions—a mix of exhilaration, confusion, and a hint of fear about what this means for me, he is the King and I think I'm falling for the King.

'Ohh this is bad' I thought as I jumped up quickly from the bed catching him by surprise, I bowed quickly and clumsily before running off.

I was almost down the stairs when I stopped as a figure stood in front of me. It is the head maid.

"Fayre" she said simply raising an eyebrow.

"Headmaid" I said with a little bow, nervous as I bit my lips. My lips!

"What are you still doing up?" She questioned.

"I took up the King's dinner"

"Follow me" she said as we walked down the stairs and down a hallway, the hallway is familiar as I always sneak here with Mary, it's the hallway that leads to the library.

She went into the library and I followed wondering what we are doing here. She started checking some books and giving them to me to hold.

"The King isn't someone you should be messing with Fayre" she said in a gentle voice landing another book on my hands, now that I think of it her stance isn't all that rigid again, she relaxed as soon as we entered the library.

"I'm not messing with his highness headmaid" I said nervously.

"Don't lie to me, I can smell him all over you" she said giving me a sharp look.

"He was sick so I stayed with him" I explained making her turn to me and raise an eyebrow.

"Sick?" She asked.

"Yes, he was really hot and sweaty and he told me to stay, so I did till he cooled down a bit" I explained the important part leaving out the kiss obviously and when I looked up at the head maid she had a thoughtful look on her face.

"You naive young child" she finally said with a sympathetic smile and sharply turned around and kept walking like she didn't just call me naive.

I stayed quiet rolling my eyes, if she caught me I'm dead, I don't know why I feel so relaxed now, maybe because she is. She suddenly turned to me and stared at me for close to a minute making me shuffle my legs awkwardly.

"The Palace is a very dangerous place, it's not for a pure soul like you, I had no choice but to bring you here" she said with a deep sigh.

"Here? To the library?" I asked confused and she smiled. Wow, a whole lot has been happening it's giving me a whiplash, the head maid is smiling.

"Stay out of trouble Princess, it's what your mother would have said" she said placing another books on my hands and she turned to continue her explore. Where have I heard that statement? Ohh the King, wait my mother?

"What do you mean? You know my mother?" I questioned horridly as I followed after her.

"How can I?" She asked facing me and finally took the books off my hands.

"Ohh" I said disappointed, what did I expect, I knew she just saved me as a baby by picking me up.

"Number one rule of staying out of trouble Fayre, keep your eyes on the floor when you're among the royals for heavens sake, and the second, be careful of the King, don't test him" she said making me confused.

"Why are you telling me all these?" I asked.

"And the third rule, don't question your superior, go back to your quarters now, you have a long day tomorrow" she said going back to her head maid mood before walking off leaving me confused.

I should listen to her, she is the closest thing to a mother I've got.