Chapter Two: Realization Part Two

Mitch was my rock for those next few weeks. I didn't hang out with anyone but him and Wit. I guess I was embraced about the overdose and how insecure I had become. I was fragile and I hated it. School was just a means to keep my parents happy and was the only time I left the house. I had grown accustom to my solitary days until Russ and Jason stopped by one afternoon.

"Sammy where you been?" Jason slurred as he hugged me.

"Hey, Sammy." Russ said sitting on my floor.

I nodded at both of them smiling. My room was in the attic of the large old house. My parents had finished it off to be a play room, but as I got older, I moved up here to put some distance between our rooms. The attic had pitched ceilings and a staircase in the middle of the room. To one side of the room were my bed, closet, and bathroom. The other side had my stereo, a window bench and my books. The floor was scattered with blankets, pillows, and beanbags. The walls were wood paneling painted a cream color covered mostly by posters and the floors were a medium shad oak covered mostly with rugs.
We all sat on the beanbags and blankets just listening to music and talking about memories. I had a feeling Mitch and Wit told them to take it easy on me. We did this several times the following week before Friday night came.

"Sammy I don't want to pressure you.." Jason started. "But I miss the old fun Sammy."

"Me too." Echoed from the rest of the group.

"Sammy, you're my best friend. I don't want you to be afraid anymore." Added Wit.

"But you don't have to do anything you don't want." Mitch encouraged.

"We just want you to get out of the house, hang out with your friends. Everyone has been asking about you." Russ stated.

I nodded my head and smiled. "Who's having the party this weekend?" everyone erupted in laughs and smiles, high-fives and hugs, playful nudges and jokes. "We planned it already just something small in my basement." Jason informed a huge grin on his face. "Sammy let's get you cleaned up" Wit squeaked as she whisked me into the bathroom. I sat on the side of the tub as she did my hair and makeup. When she was done, she held up her finger. "Wait here." She said. She left the bathroom, and I could hear her rustle through the closet on the other side of the wall. She came back with an outfit in hand, "Here I love you in this." She held up jean shorts and a tank top.
I put them on, and as I came out of the bathroom, I realized everyone but Mitch, who was sitting on the end of my bed, had left. "Wow, you look great." He smiled. I told him thanks as he walked over to me. He put his hands on my waist and looked me over. "I Love you." He said it often, but every time he did it took my breath away. I put my arms around him and kissed his soft lips deeply. I pulled away realizing people were waiting for us. "We better go."
We walked to Jason's house hand in hand. He lived on the dirt road with me, and it was a short walk. We were silent most of the way; I hadn't realized how much I missed the fresh air. My parents had been driving me to and from school, and I hadn't walked anywhere since the day I went back to the hotel. Instantly at the thought of Brett and the whole ordeal. I shook my head. "no" I thought, "today is about me."
When we got to Jason's house, we walked around to the back entrance. Jason had decked out his basement with drug money. He had painted the cement floors, and the paneled wall dark blue. He was infatuated with lava lamps and added one every time he made a big sale. The ceiling was dotted with glow-in-the-dark stars. His biggest purchase was a large sectional that was placed in the corner. Folding tables and chairs were stacked at one end of the room, for the gambling nights Jason hosted every couple weeks. For parties he only set a long one up for drinks and snacks.
It was still early when we arrived, and our close group were the only ones there. We sat playing cards and listening to music until everyone started arriving a little later. We partied like we used to on school night, hard enough to forget our troubles, but not enough to forget what went on. At least two of my friends were with me the entire night, not wanting a repeat of the overdose or hallucination.
When the evening came to a close around three AM, Mitch walked me home. Buzzed, we moved slow, holding hand and kicking rocks.

"Sammy, Did you have fun?"

"Yeah, it was nice to get out of my head for a bit."

"I'm glad. It was nice to see you out there on the dance floor being you."

We both laughed. I hadn't been paranoid or afraid like I thought I'd be. I was fine; maybe what happened was a onetime thing, some bad pills or something. I smiled at him. "Stay over?" I asked as we reached my house. He simply nodded a huge grin on his face. We crept up the stairs and into my room closing the door lightly behind us.
As I turned around, Mitch grabbed my hand pulling me to him, leaving a light kiss on my collar bone. "I love you, Samantha." He said before kissing my lips light at first and then passionately lifting me as I put my legs around him. He walked to the bed bending down and ever so softly lowering me on to the bed. Standing he removed my shirt slowly before removing his own. He playfully kissed every inch of my torso before slowly unbuttoning my shorts and guiding them around my hips and down my legs. He threw them on the floor grinning once more.

***

The next morning I woke to the birds as a cool breeze from the open window touched my naked skin. Mitch was gone but setting next to my phone was an envelope. Written in blue marker on the white paper:

"Sammy,
You looked so beautiful and peaceful I didn't want to wake you, but I had to leave before your parents got up. Here is a gift to enjoy on this beautiful morning.
I love you,
Mitch"

I opened the envelop tipping it a few small pills landed in my hand, pain killers. I popped them in my mouth without a second thought and went down stairs to get something to eat. I decided on some cereal poring myself a bowl and sitting at the kitchen table.
The kitchen of my large house was small but large enough for its purpose. Our table sat off at one side of the room in front of sliding glass doors. I looked out as I was eating my breakfast to my yard. The open mowed grass backing up to the tree line. And suddenly I saw it. An animal figure peeking out of the brush eyes glaring at me. "Oh no, not again." I thought standing up from the table.