Chapter Fourteen: Justification Part Two

My mom and I laughed all night as we watched our movie and ate our Chinese takeout. I loved her, and now I couldn't see my life without her. We had become so close; I didn't want to leave her questioning what happened to me.

"Mom?"

"What's up Samantha? You've been off all night."

"I just saw someone today."

"Who? The people who kidnapped you? We need to call the police..."

"No stop mom." She looked at me with confusion. "I saw Brett."

"Oh no honey. I'll get you into see the doctor in the morning. Its okay; they said this might happen."

"No mom. I don't think this was in my head. I know it is hard for you to understand, but I love him."

"Sam, he isn't real. In reality you can't be with Brett."

"I don't care what 'reality' says. Brett, he is the reality I choose. I just..." I pause. "He is waiting for me, but I don't want to leave you alone."

"Sam, even if he was waiting for you, it isn't me you need to think about."

"Mom, I know you and dad aren't doing well. I can see it." She looked at the ground.

"Honey, its hard, but we are trying. When you were missing, it put a lot of stress on us, but we'll be fine whatever happens."

I embraced her and held her tight. We needed to work things out. I needed her to be okay if I left. She was there for me through everything, but I'd have to choose: my mate or my mom.

***

I was coming to terms with the idea my parents may never accept my life with Brett, even if they had proof. I mean, werewolf alpha love is a hard thing for any human to accept. I even found myself doubting it, but I didn't want anything else. My love for Brett was bigger than anything else.

I had made my decision; I would choose Brett, the pack. There wasn't really any other choice to make. My life here was meaningless, and I couldn't take being away from Brett. That morning I would leave with him, and I didn't know if I would ever be back, but I had to trust Brett. I went downstairs and found my mom by the kitchen table.

"Morning dear, are you feeling more like yourself?" she asked concerned.

"Mom, I feel more like myself than I have in a while." She stood up, confusion on her face.

"I don't understand."

"Mom, I love you, but Brett is my life, and I understand you don't believe me, but I can't go on pretending I haven't changed." A tear ran down her cheek. "You have to trust I know what is best for me, and that is Brett. I will try to come back. I hope you meet him soon, but I can't promise anything; we have to be careful."

"I don't want you to get hurt." She said embracing me tight.

"I know. I love you. I wish it could be different."

"I don't want you to leave; you're my baby."

"I know what it feels like to lose a child, and I don't want to put you through this. If I could take you with me, I would."

"I know sweetheart." She hugged me again tighter pulling away to look me in the eye. "You always have a home here, always."

"I know mom. I love you." I kissed her lightly on the cheek.

"I love you too."

I stepped over and open the sliding door, looking back at my mom and then to the tree line. Eyes flicked into view, and I glanced back at my mom, her eyes wide. We shared a knowing look before I stepped out and closed the door. His scent immediately hit me, and I felt at home. I ran to the trees shifting through my clothes as I went. It felt so good to be my wolf again.

As I reached the trees, I looked back at my childhood home, my mother standing with her hands against the slider's glass. She had light tears dripping from her eyes but a smile brightened her face. She knew I was happy, and I think that is all that mattered to her.

Brett's wolf met me in the trees. He rubbed up against me licking my snout. "I love you." He said without words. "I love you too." I responded. A wind blew in my face, and I could smell we were not alone, and as Brett let out a deep howl, I could hear the distant reply of other wolves and joined in.

It didn't matter to me anymore what people thought. They didn't really know me anyway. I was home with my pack, and I was loved. My future may not be clear, and my life may be dangerous, but I was with Brett, and we would protect each other. To others I maybe a crazy girl, but finally, for the first time in a long time, as I ran through the wood with Brett toward my pack, I felt sane.