Chapter 41

Emily's POV

"ARF!"

"Pancakes, shh."

"ARF!"

"Be quiet, Pancakes."

"ARF ARF!"

"Pancakes, if you bark again..."

There was a pause, and I sighed with relief.

"ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF!"

I ripped my glasses off and set my phone down. "What do you want?"

Pancakes stared at me, her tail wagging a mile a minute and her tongue hanging out, before she started running in circles, chasing her tail.

"Nothing?" I asked hopelessly as I watched her. She went around a couple more times before she slipped on the hardwood floor and fell on her ass with a little snort.

I giggled. She was by far the funniest puppy I'd seen. Austin had taken her to the vet to get her shots and it turns out she had been in fact almost two months, just like we'd predicted. She was now three months old.

And I was just over six months along. If you shoved a soccer ball under my shirt, that was about the size of me.

Pancakes had grown on me, and she was a good little puppy, but she still got on my nerves sometimes. I guess I'd never had a dog or any big pet before. Not Austin, though. Nope, he loved that puppy. His family's dog Sam had to be put down a couple years back after he had been hit by a car, and I could tell Austin had always wanted another dog.

And great news! My hand was better! Well, not fully, but the stitches were out, and it was scaring over. I could use it again, which was good. I hated not being able to play the guitar or anything.

"ARF!" Pancakes yapped at me. "ARF ARF!"

"Whaaaaat?" I whined at her.

"She wants to go for a walk." Austin said as he strolled into the living room with her leash. "Don't cha, Pancakes?" She yapped in answer and flipped over on her back.

"Since when did you become the dog whisperer?" I asked.

He put a hand over his heart. "I always have been. My true colors just haven't blossomed until now. It's truly a gift."

I snorted with laughter. "You did not just say that."

"Oh, but I did." He hooked her up. "Wanna come?"

"Sure." I said, standing up from the couch. "I could use a break." I had spent the last hour writing a new song for Austin.

I grabbed my red coat and my black beanie and slipped on runners. Pancakes practically pulled Austin out the door, me following behind.

"Whoa Pancakes, where's the fire?" Austin chuckled. "Slow down, girl!"

She did as he asked, slowing to a steady walk beside us. Austin grinned in triumph while I stared in shock.

"How'd you teach her that?" I asked. "I thought she only knew basic tricks like roll over and sit."

"It's like you said, I'm the dog whisperer." He whispered, causing me to swat him lightly, which only made him laugh. "I'm just kidding. I don't know. She's a smart dog."

"True enough." I linked my arm through his and rested my head on his arm. "Guess what?"

"What?" He paused before shrieking, "Oh my god, are you having twins?!"

"No!" I said quickly. "There was only one baby in the ultrasound, Austin."

"Oh, right." He said sheepishly. "Forgot."

I rolled my eyes. "Anyways, I-" I stopped as my phone rang. "Shit, hold on."

I took it out of my pocket. "Um, it's Alex."

"Alex? Why would he be calling you?" Austin asked, confused.

"Guess I'm about to find out." I picked up. "What's up, Alex?"

"I have a huge problem!" He yelled into the phone.

"Uh, okay, what's wrong?" I looked at Austin and shrugged.

"I think...I, uh, I think I... Um-"

"Spit it out, Alex!"

"I think I like Taylor!" He burst.

I gasped. "Awww. That's so cute!" I squealed.

"That's not cute. It's bad, Emily!"

"Why is it a bad thing? It's so cute! Seriously, Alex," I told him.

"What's cute?" Austin asked, but I shushed him.

"What do I do? I'm freaking out here." Alex told me.

"When did you realize it?"

"Just now. I was eating jelly beans and shrimp with Penelope, Frances, Barbara, Louise, Turkeyson and Jeffrey and I choked on my food because I thought, 'I like Taylor!' And..."

"And what?" I prompted.

"Hmm? Oh, and that's it."

"Oh. Well, just tell her how you feel!"

"Alex likes a girl?!" Austin exclaimed. "Who is it? Why wouldn't he tell me?"

"Austin's with you?" Alex asked.

"Yeah, we're walking Pancakes." I explained.

"Tell him for me because I don't think I can right now." Alex said. "But I have to go. I'll talk to you guys later. Thanks Emily."

"Anytime. See ya!" I hung up and turned to Austin before yelling, "Alex likes Taylor!"

"Seriously?" He asked, shocked. "For real this time?"

I had a brief flashback of when Austin and I had thought Taylor and Alex were dating. Boy, were we ever wrong.

I nodded. "Isn't it so cute?"

"It's weird."

"But it's cute!"

"But it's weird."

"Cute."

"Weird."

"Cute."

"Can we just change the subject before I get mental images I really don't want please?" Austin begged as we came up to the dog park. He let Pancakes off her leash and she immediately ran into the fenced area.

"Fine." I sighed.