Chapter 3: Leave the Past Be

ADAM'S POV

*9 hours earlier*

After leaving Annie's place, I just drove around for a while, thinking about my life choices. Where would I have been, if it weren't for my family? Probably somewhere better off with a nice, normal family that celebrated christmas every year. We only celebrated on the days when someone got killed. If it was one of us, we grieved, if it was one of the Other's, we rejoiced.

I never wanted to be a part of it, my family I mean. They were just too different, too alien to comprehend. Me, I was different as well, just not in the way you'd think.

I remember the summer it all changed. His name was Michael and I thought we were in love, as it seems, he just wanted a fuck from the best looking kid. Ever since then I hid myself, not wanting to reveal my wants, my needs. But it's been aching me lately, I miss the touch of a man under me. Annie's great, but she's no Michael. Oh Michael, why did you have to break my heart?

Without realising it, I was back at Annie's place. I decided to go back upstairs and apologise for my behaviour but then, I heard a girl's scream. I quickly parked my motorcycle, not running fast enough to try and save my sister's life.

All I saw was the back of the guy who was standing over her, pointing a silencer at her head. »Please, oh please, God, don't!« The last thing I heard was a deafening shot from the gun, now pointed right at Annies fragile little chest. And then it was over. All I saw was black. Sweet, overpowering black, that I welcomed into my embrace.

***

»That's Annie, my sister.« I looked up at the officer, falling back into the present, death of my sister hitting me in the face. I saw he was looking at me with a strange expression on his face. It was like he was struggling with himself for control. »Come on, let's get you out of here.«

He pulled me up, wrapping his big, muscly arms around me to keep me from getting cold. I smiled into his chest, maybe there really is something good in every bad situation after all! I gently rubbed my left cheek on his shoulder peck, striving for warmth. I felt his muscles tighten under all the layers of clothing, oh yes, he is nothing like Michael.