Chapter 20

I awoke to the sound of the phone ringing. Kurt was dead sleep next to me, so I had to be the one to answer it.

"Hello?" I said while rubbing my eyes.

"Hey I'm looking for Kurt Cobain?" a man spoke.

"He's here. Who's asking?"

"Tell him it's Buzz Osborne. From the Melvins. He knows." He paused. "Who are you?"

"Allison. His girlfriend." I said slowly. I had no idea why I was still speaking with the stranger.

"No way, shithead's got himself a girl?" he said.

"Excuse me?" I was offended.

"Just go get him."

I shook Kurt awake and told him some Buzz Osborne from the Melvins was on the phone. His expression changed to happy confusion. I watched as he picked up the receiver and spoke to Buzz. He recognized him and was happy to hear from him. The talked for a few minutes so by the time he got off the phone, I was back in bed attempting to fall back asleep. He climbed in next to me and began explaining what the call was about.

"I went to school with Buzz a few years ago. He had his own band going and I was completely infatuated with them. They treated me like a groupie and let me hang around them. Then they moved out to California when Buzz got out of school and I hadn't heard from them since. Buzz said he'd seen a recording of Nirvana. Apparently someone taped a short bit of one of our gigs and was playing around down there and now Buzz wants us to get together."

I raised my eyebrows. "Wow. Publicity in California?"

"Yeah. Pretty cool. I'll ask Krist if he's up for it."

"Sounds good. Good night then." I rolled around and closed my eyes only to be rolled back by Kurt.

"Oh no you don't. Don't you know what day it is?" he asked, smirking.

"Sunday?"

He laughed. "No silly. It's the 31st of July!"

"Should that mean something?" I was genuinely confused.

Kurt frowned. "It's your birthday, weirdo."

"Oh shit. I've forgotten. Well thanks for the heads up." I kissed his cheek.

"Before you completely dismiss the anniversary of your birth - which, by the way, I've never known anyone to do that - I've got you a present." He sits up and reaches into the drawer. He tossed me a handful of silver packages.

"Condoms?" I ask.

Kurt laughs loudly. "Happy birthday."

"You poor horny child." I also laugh.

"I know you don't want it-"

"Who says I don't want it?"

"I know you'd never ask for it, so I'm putting the offer on the table." he said. "You just turned 18, you're like not allowed to be a virgin anymore."

I smile. Kurt's expression changed to hopeful. I waited longer just to tease him. He became anxious. "Well?!" he said impatiently.

I smirked. "Tonight."

---

My birthday was spent with Shelli, Krist, and of course Kurt. They took me to Seattle where we walked around downtown. Later they gave me a few gifts. By nightfall, Kurt and I excused ourselves to go back home. Ever since he moved in with me when I graduated, he's called my house home. It gave me butterflies.

Speaking of butterflies, I had all kinds of insects in my stomach on the way home. Kurt drove at ease but I fidgeted. I was nervous for what he had planned. He's only had one sexual partner but he insists he's done it multiple times. That only made me feel worse. What if I wasn't good enough?

Once home, Kurt smiled softly as he pulled me to our room.

"You know, it's kinda silly that we've been sleeping together but we haven't been sleeping together." he said in attempt to ease my distress. A nervous laugh escaped my lips.

We sat on my bed and he spoke. "Ally, I know what you're feeling. But you don't have to be scared. I won't let anything bad happen to you. Not just now, but ever. I love you."

"I love you too." I said as I closed the space between us. Then we became one.