Chapter 14 - The Whispers

“Ahhhhh!”

The sound of the man's scream tore through the silent night like a knife.

He turned his body to swing at me, but missed as I dodged out of the way, but not before grabbing his arm and hurling him behind me, the sound of the thud when he slammed into the tree ringing in my ears.

I turned and hissed at him, my teeth coming to small points and my eyes a fiery blue.

I suddenly heard the sound of my name being called, and I looked up to its direction to see Xavier's house on the hill. I hissed up at the house, my fury building as i heard the sound of footsteps approaching. I dashed in the other direction towards the water.

I could hear it in my ears as if it was right next to me, screaming at me to go to it. I followed the call of the waves, everything a blur as I dashed through the forest, my body aching and my head spinning as I felt my desperation and determination grow.

I felt them before I heard them. Their paws pounding into the earth shaking it as I ran. I didn't dare turn back, knowing it'd slow me down. I could practically feel the water on my skin, it was so close……..

I burst through a clearing and stood still as my eyes scanned for water, I knew it was here. I could feel it all around me, its calls screaming at me so loud I had to cover my ears.

Where was it?!?

I felt my heart rate accelerate as I searched for the water, but it wasn't in sight. I took a deep breath through my nose, smelling and taking in the salty antidote.

I ran forward through more bushes as I heard them gaining on me.

My hair flew behind me as I ran, determination in my face as I saw what I had been searching for.

Water.

The moon was high in the sky, reflecting down on the rough waves, them beckoning me to come.

I felt a grin spread across my face, my sharp teeth glistening in the moonlight.

I dashed forward, ignoring the pain as my bare feet began to bleed from the sharp rocks.

I ran closer to the edge of the cliff, the waves practically on me as they splashed and roared in approval.

“Stop!”

My feet, which had already begun to grow gills, skidded to stop as I heard his voice ring through the air.

Xavier.

I whipped my head towards him, hissing threateningly.

Xavier ran towards me, wolves behind him in tow.

“Calista! Please stop! If you don't, I'll make you! Please, I can help you!”

I felt my smirk return as I let out a hiss/laugh.

He couldn't help.

I turned around, my feet on the edge of the cliff as the waves splashed ferociously against the cliff, them angry as I delayed my return to the ocean.

I jumped.

“No!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Ahhhh!”

I screamed as I flew off the bed.

I hit the ground on my side, the carpet cushioning my fall a bit, but it still hurt.