Chapter 17

"Bye Nora!" I said as I made my way to the entrance after my baking lessons and helping her in return.

I wasn't looking where I was going so naturally I ran into someone. Thankfully I didn't fall. Neither did the person I ran into.

"I am sorry," I started apologizing.

"Ellie, is that you?" a familiar voice said with a tint of surprise.

I looked up to meet with blue eyes behind red spectacles.

"Megan?" I said equally surprised.

"Hi," I smiled at her. It was really unexpected to run into her here. Nobody from school came here. It made it easier for me to help Nora. You know with them knowing and sticking their noses in and making it an entire different story.

Also I hadn't talked to Megan for weeks. She seemed to be avoiding me or she was just too busy to even say hi.

"Hi," she said. "I didn't expect you to be here," she remarked.

"I help here," I said and gestured at Nora who was taking orders from a couple a few tables away.

Megan looked and nodded slowly.

"Helping your mom," she said pushing her glasses up her nose.

I let out a short laugh.

"Oh no, she is not my mom," I said although I wish it was true.

"I help her in return of baking lessons," I explained.

"Okay. If you say so. She is too young to be your mom anyway," she said.

"Do you want to hang out for a bit?" I asked just because I missed her.

She looked uncomfortable then she said.

"I am sorry I can't today," she declined.

My face fell.

Seriously what was up with her?

"Maybe we could just grab a drink?" I tried again. My doubts about her avoiding me were getting bigger.

"I just realized I have some work to do," she lied.

"But you just came here," I pointed out, frowning.

"See you later Ellie," she waved and rushed out, completely ignoring me.

My doubts just became reality.

****

I was sitting in my biology class completely immersed in doodling on my notebook while waiting for the teacher to enter.

I huffed. Even my doodles were pathetic. I was definitely going to fail arts.

I was so immersed in rubbing the doodles angrily that I didn't give any attention to the sudden commotion in class. After I was done I finally looked up. I furrowed my brows at the people staring me. They were whispering to each other.

As I realized what was actually happening my heart started beating faster.

They weren't staring at me. They were staring behind me.

He was here.

After more than two weeks later he was back.

I was holding the eraser too tight. I dropped it on my table and started to turn back.

I recognize his chocolate brown hair instantly. He was staring at his book ignoring all the other stares. After being such a famous celebrity I didn't think he would feel uncomfortable being stared at. I thought he would have gotten used to it by now. I thought wrong.