Chapter 28

"Which one would look better? I asked, showing a red crayon and a blue one.

Calla picked up the red crayon and gave it to me.

I smiled at her and went to finish my artwork.

We were sitting on the floor of the living room and were drawing. It was after dinnertime and Calla was too excited to sleep so I decided to spend some time with her. Calla was making stick figures while I was making... Well, at least it looked good whatever it was.

I had come to terms with it. With Asher being a dad. I had to someday. The sooner the better. It was still hard to believe, though. But not completely impossible. After all, my parents were teenagers too when they had me.

"You suck so seriously at drawing that even a two year old draws better than you," a voice came and I looked up, a scowl on my face.

"I do not," I said, offended. This was by far the best I had ever drawn. And he was making fun of it.

As soon as Calla noticed who was there she forgot all about drawing and reached her tiny hands up towards Asher.

Asher grinned adorably at her and picked her up.

"What's my little girl been doing?" he cooed.

Calla grinned widely and said, "Calla daw-ing."

I kept all the stuff back in a box and picked up the papers just as Ashton entered the room.

"What's my niece doing?" he asked with a sly grin on his face as he poked Calla's cheek.

Asher glared at him.

"Ashton which one do you think is better?" I showed him both drawings. He took them from my hand and seemed to inspect them. I made a face when he took longer than necessary to decide.

He bit his lip and looked up at me.

I glared at him and snatched the papers back.

Asher burst out laughing.

"See? I'm always right," he said smugly.

I shifted my glare to him.

"You talk senseless," I said and he looked at me like I was some peculiar insect.

"Why am I even asking to you both? You are no better than me-"

"I beg to differ," Ashton cut me off.

I continued ignoring him, "I would show them to someone who actually knows a thing about art."

"And who would that be?" Ashton mused loudly.

"I'll show them to Evan," I said and it was then I realized that I hadn't seen him for days or heard anything from him.

"You're friends with the loner?" Ashton asked.

I narrowed my eyes at him.

"What? It's the truth," he shrugged. Why was he acting like such a prick?

"Yes, I am. And he's not whatever you guys call him," I defended.

"A lonely wannabe emo who can't keep his eyes open for more than five seconds?" Asher piped up.

"Or a socially awkward guy who can't handle people. What do you call those?" Ashton asked Asher.

Before Asher could say something to insult Evan further I spoke.

"That's enough. Evan is a pretty cool guy and he's funny too," I said and noticed Calla had fallen asleep on Asher's arms.

"Go marry him then," Asher said out of nowhere.