Chapter 24

A/N- This is the first draft so I go back and change some things now and then. Not big things, just small details. In chapter 21 I mentioned that Ellie couldn't swim. I changed that. Ellie knows the basics. She is just afraid of going underwater. I hope there won't be any confusion regarding that in this chapter. 😊
I hope you like it and happy reading!
-K

****

A sudden realization made the ground shift from beneath me. I was developing feelings for him. I was falling for Asher. That couldn't happen. That was impossible. He was Asher for God's sake. I could give thousands of reasons why it was a bad idea. Thousands more why it wouldn't work out.

But the jealousy that ran through me at seeing him with the blondie said otherwise. I have never felt this way before. Not even when someone took the last pair of shoes I wanted so bad. Or when I saw my ex with some other girl.

This had to stop. I had to stop feeling this way. I could only imagine how this would end if I didn't stop here. Asher would only break my heart and he would probably enjoy himself while doing so.

I am so screwed.

I backed out the door before they could see me. I would most likely stay in my room for today. No, probably for the rest of my stay here.

But they spotted me.

"Who is she?" the blondie asked raising her eyebrow at Asher. She didn't sound bitchy. More like she was teasing him.

Then a smirk took over her face and at that moment she seemed familiar. I racked my brain to find where I had seen her.

"Is she-" she started when Asher chucked a cushion at her.

"She is Ellie. She is staying with us," Asher explained quickly.

Then he turned to me.

"Anderson, this is Poppy," he said.

Poppy?

Poppy.

I'd heard that name before. I'd probably met her too but it was so long ago I didn't remember.

She was Poppy McArdle. Their cousin. That smirk seemed familiar because Asher has the same smirk. Now, I felt stupid.

"Hey," I said lamely.

She came around the couch where I was standing. She was wearing ripped jeans, white tank top and a shirt over it with buttons undone. Her left wrist was covered with charm bracelets.

Her appearance, her walk, everything about her screamed confidence. She seemed like a girl who naturally intimidated everyone around her.

She didn't say anything to me. She just eyed me but her face didn't give a hint of what she was thinking.

"I am going to the pool. Come over after you're finished with your breakfast," she said. She was looking at me but it was certain who she was talking to. Then she went out the door.

I still couldn't decide if I liked her or not.

Okay.

What do I do now?

I was alone with Asher. I would have to pay extra attention so I don't do anything stupid. Like stare at him or worse. Kiss him. My mind told me none was a bad idea.

He said something and I looked up. He was standing beside me.

"Huh?"

"Food? Eat," he said, motioning his fingers towards his mouth. What did he think I was?