Chapter 22

"Nerdy Red is back," Brooke stated as she made her way to where Megan and I were sitting. She huffed as she put her tray down and sat. She wore a white crop top and a denim skirt. I wondered if she could even feel cold or not.

"What's up with you? Why are you sitting here and not at our usual table?" she asked as she looked where Kelsey and her posse were sitting.

I shrugged in response. After I had the talk with her in the morning today I decided she wasn't worthy of my friendship anymore.

"It's better like this anyway. I don't like her all that much," she continued.

Megan looked up in surprise. Another thing they both agree on.

"Why weren't you at school yesterday?" Brooke asked taking a bite from her sandwich.

"I wanted to ask the same thing," Megan piped up.

I started to answer when I saw someone come up behind Brooke and words died in my mouth.

"She was with me," Asher answered as he sat beside Brooke who gave him a dreamy look.

"Hey beautiful," Asher said to Brooke who was ready to swoon at his feet.

Megan faked a gag.

"Maureen," he said in acknowledgement to her.

She rolled her eyes but didn't correct him. I guessed she too knew the wrong name thing was intentional.

"Wait. She was with you?" Brooke broke from his spell and narrowed her eyes at me.

I shook my head. I better stop her before she gets any ideas.

"It wasn't-" Asher cut me off.

"Yes, she was with me yesterday. All day, all night," he said smirking.

Brooke dropped her sandwich and Megan's mouth was wide opened as she froze halfway to take a bite of her slice of pizza.

"What?! No! He is lying. We weren't together... like that," I finished lamely. I cursed myself for blushing.

"Pfft. Weren't you hanging out with me at the mall yesterday or not?" Asher said and his gorgeous blue eyes were crinkling with mirth. I chastised myself for thinking about his eyes when he was blatantly lying in front of my friends.

"You were hanging out with him?" Megan asked as if it was a ridiculous thing to even think about.

"No. I mean yes. B-but he forced me," I glared at Asher.

"How romantic," Brooke sighed dramatically.

Megan scoffed. "Romantic? It's far from it. Forcing someone to do something is not romantic at all. It's infuriating," she said.

"What do you even know about romance?" Brooke asked. "I bet you didn't even get your first kiss yet," she said smirking, knowing she was right.

Megan fumed in anger and Brooke returned her glare head on. It didn't look good. I had to do something before it got out of hand.

"Girls, girls you're both pretty," Asher interjected before I could. And it seemed to work because they stop their glaring match. I was mad at him but at the same time thankful.

"Here she comes," Megan muttered and looked down at her tray.

I looked up to see who and Brooke craned her neck back. But Asher was busy stealing my food, not caring. I slapped his hand away just as Kelsey and a few of her cronies reached our table.