Chapter 19

I woke up abruptly at nearly two am after I cried myself to sleep last night. With a start I looked around at the unfamiliar surroundings. Then it came back to me that I wasn't in my room. I was in one of the McArdles' guest rooms. This one was customized according to my preferences. Blue walls and a starry ceiling. When I was a kid, every time dad went out of the city and couldn't take me with him he would leave me in care of Linda. And this used to be my room.

I looked at the side table and groaned. Perfect. No water. I was thirsty so I got out of the bed and slipped my feet in a pair of slippers.

I made my way downstairs to the kitchen, still half asleep. When I reached the kitchen I took a glass from a cabinet and made way to the sink. I didn't switched on the lights. My hands fumbled their way to the tap and filled the glass. I downed the full content in one go.

I stretched and yawned as I made my way back and my eye caught some light coming from the living room. Without thinking I padded there and peeked from the door which was ajar. The TV was on and I could see a mop of brown hair on the couch.

Careful not to make any sound I went in and stood behind the couch. Even without looking at the face I knew it was Asher. I snorted mentally. As if that would make a difference.

I smirked evilly as an idea popped in my head. I raised my hand over his head and was ready to scare him when he tilted his head up to look at me. I made a face and let my hand fall to my side.

The TV was on but hardly any sound came from it. Some old movie was on. I wondered what was he doing up so late. I was going to ask him just that when he said, "You were crying." He was looking at my face and I realized I must have puffy eyes. Or worse, tear stains.

I turned my back to him and leaned against the couch mostly because I didn't want him to see me like this.

"You are awake," I said.

He looked ahead and stared at the TV.

"So I see," he said and I rolled my eyes.

"Do you have insomnia or something? It's like you don't sleep at all," I asked.

He didn't answer.

I sighed in frustration and went to stand in front of him, blocking his view from the TV. I crossed my arms over my chest and glared at him. Then my eyes fell on his bare chest. He was just wearing pajama bottoms and I could make out his abs in the dim light coming from the television. I realized I was staring and looked away, blushing.

"Nice shorts," he commented and I looked down at my pink pajama shorts with little red hearts. They showed more skin than I would have preferred right now. I saw his eyes moving down my body, checking me out. This made me blush even harder. Somehow I felt naked under his gaze.

I coughed to distract him.

He met my eyes and my breath caught in my throat at the look in his eyes.

It was hard to talk when he looked at me like that.

"Go away. You are blocking my view," he grumbled after a while.

Jerk! Not long ago he was ogling at me and now I was blocking his view?

"Excuse me, I am the view," I said putting my hands on my waist.

He muttered something under his breath.

"What did you say?" I asked narrowing eyes at him.

"Nothing. If you're so adamant about not moving I might as well enjoy this view," he said and leaned back on the couch, making himself comfortable all the while his eyes trained on me.