Chapter 18

I didn't even know what I was so sad about. It wasn't like Asher was the nicest guy on the planet. Far from it. But it still hurt.

I had decided not to bother him anymore. I would just be a neighbor if that's what he wanted.

"Pumpkin are you alright?" my dad asked. He was sitting on the other side of the table, eating dinner which he made. It would be better if I keep shut about the taste.

I just grunted in response.

He chuckled.

"Who did you fight with?" he said, taking a bite from the pasta he made and grimacing afterwards.

"Why would you think I fought with someone?" I asked.

He shrugged and then smirked.

"I don't think it. I know it and I have a pretty good idea who it was," he said.

I stopped picking at my food and gave him a hard look.

"And who might that be?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

"I know my daughter and there are only a few who can keep up an argument with her. What did you guys fought about now?" he asked.

I sighed and slumped in my chair.

"He keeps acting weird and doesn't tell me what's the matter," I told him.

"Maybe you should give him time," my dad advised.

"How much time dad? He has been like this since he came back and I don't know what to do!" I said exasperated.

My dad just smiled.

I looked down, a bit embarrassed by my mini outburst and took a bite, instantly regretting it.

"Being famous is not easy. Maybe Asher is just stressed?" he said.

I didn't say anything. It was easier talking about him without actually saying his name but now that dad had actually mentioned him I felt uncomfortable talking about him.

My dad knowing I wouldn't continue with this conversation anymore switched the topic.

"I am going to meet your grandmother," he said and stood up taking his less than half eaten food to the sink.

I perked up.

"Really? When are we going?" I asked. It's been a long time since I had seen her.

"You're going to finish that?" he asked as he came to take my plate.

I shook my head too early.

He let out a chuckle.

"I really should stop cooking right?" he said.

"You should have stopped ages ago," I muttered under my breath.

The way he narrowed his eyes on me I knew he heard me.

"Did you say something?" he asked.

I shook my head.

"That's what I thought," he said to himself.

"Anyway I said I would go. You're staying here," he deadpanned, starting to wash the dishes.

I leaped up from my chair and went to stand next to him.

"What? No! I want to meet her too and you can't possibly let me stay in this giant house alone," I argued.

He gave me a plate to dry off, turning his face to look at me. I took it.

"It's your senior year and I can't let you compromise with that. I wouldn't have gone if it wasn't important. You can meet her when she comes here," he said.