From Father to Son

Everybody huddled around the Viking ship, they stared up at the sea stack that Hiccup and Stoick were on. They held their breath, worried for how it was going to play out.   Astrid informed everyone about Hiccups "condition" but refused to tell them what caused it. She felt that she had no right to do so. Astrid sat on Cloudjumpers back and held onto one of his back spines. Please just listen to him Hiccup, Astrid prayed.

Toothless and Thornado sat next to their riders, waiting to act on anything that might happen. Toothless couldn't pull his eyes from Hiccup. This is exactly what he needed, Toothless huddled close to Hiccup, Please Hiccup...

Hiccup stood there with his arms crossed and his eyes down. Stoick felt the awkwardness and saw the hurt in his sons eyes. If Hiccup wasn't going to start then Stoick would. "Uh...Hiccup," Stoick started slowly, "I...I'm sorry."

"What?" Hiccup stared confused at his father.

"F-For everything," Stoick choose his words carefully, "I know that I'm not the best father and that I do make mistakes...but...over these years I've come to understand that you were right. That dragons are good." Stoick gestured to Thornado.

"Astrid already told me about Berks "change"," Hiccup said with a bit of hate.

Oh come on Hiccup! Toothless wined a bit, He trying his best. Just give him a chance.

"We-I changed for you," Stoick explained.

"Astrid said that too."

"Hiccup please! What else do you want me to say?" Stoick tried to keep the sorrow form his voice.

"I-I dunno," Hiccup forced back any tears that tried to fall. He leaned back against Toothless, still refusing to look up at Stoick.

"I know about...Dagur," Stoick said out of the blue.

Hiccup didn't bother to hid his shock. He hugged his shoulders, "Y-You do?"

Stoick shook his head yes, "I do. I also know that you were trying to defend your dragon."

"Then why does it still bug me?"

"It's not in your nature to kill," Stoick pat Thornado then looked back at his son, "I know what your going through. Well...not personally. My father had no problem killing a dragon but when it came to another human being...oh he didn't sleep for months. Hiccup...the pain your going through can't be dealt with on your own. I was there for my father and I want-have to be there for my son."

Hiccup again tried to fight away the tears. He felt like the weight he was carrying for years slowly lift off him. After everything that has happened...hearing what his father just said is what Hiccup needed. But then Hiccup remembered, "You do know how I feel about...viking stuff?"

"We can help you with that too," Stoick wasn't about to let anything keep his son from coming back home, "Besides, Berk needs you now more than ever!"

"Huh?"

"Valka said that there is a gigantic dragon on the loose," Hiccup explained, "If it attacks Berk then we need you there to help defend the people."

At that moment, everything broke.

"Is that the only reason you came looking for me?" Hiccup clenched his fists and his voice started to rise, "Because of Her?"

'Her!? Where!?' Toothless crouched in fear.

"No Hiccup. I've been looking for you for far longer than that," Stoick pleaded while mentally slapping himself.

"Is that why I sent Dagur after me!?"