6 - Karma

"If I demanded a test, would you let me?" His question caught me off guard. A test?
"Are you serious? Why would you even think she's your daughter? She doesn't even look like you." I tried to talk as calm as possible, but he was getting on my nerves.

"I noticed the way you stepped away, afraid I would recognize her. She looks exactly like my mom. That nurse from earlier wasn't the first one who told me that. I had a friend tell me that too when I first met her." He said and I rolled my eyes.

"Because she's ginger doesn't mean she's your daughter. Your mom isn't the only red head in this world." I said. He nodded and shifted Emma in his arms. She was already back to playing with her dolls.

"But you know exactly what we did three years ago." He clenched his jaw, whilst mine dropped. He remembers? How in the world?
"W-What?" I asked and he glared.

"You heard me." He said and I swallowed.
"I thought you-"
"You thought I didn't remember? Well, you aren't the only good actor in this room. And we both know what happens after sex." He said and I dropped my gaze to the floor.

"We used a condom." I shrugged and stood up.
"Thank you for driving me, I'll manage from here." I said, extending my arms.
"No." He placed Emma on the bed and stood up. He was so close to me, I could feel his breath on my nose.

"No?" I asked and he glared at me, before gripping my elbow and leading me a little further away from a distracted Emma.
"Just let it be, Elijah." I said, not feeling the need to be formal anymore.

"How can I, if you keep lying to me?" He growled lowly and I gulped again.
"She is not your daughter. We had sex, yes. But that's it. You weren't the only one I had sex with at that time!" I said and he clenched his jaw again. That was such a lie.

"Who is her father then?" He asked after a while.
"That's none of your business." I said, shoving him away from me and turning around, but he gripped my shirt tight, not letting me go anywhere.

"I demand a paternal test. Right now!" He said and I shook my head.
"No. You have no right." I said, glaring up at him.
"I have all the right in the world. You were hiding my child from me for almost three years. Don't you think I have a right to be with her?" His grip tightened and I tried to get away from him.

"Let me go." I hissed but he shook his head.
"Nora." He said, softer this time. I felt my walls fall in that exact moment. He was going to hate me and I was going to lose my job!

"Please." He begged me and I broke down. I felt it all in one: Guilt, regret, stress. Karma was getting back at me and before I knew it, I saw black. I heard him call out for me faintly, but I was already gone.

I woke up to a white ceiling and groaned. What happened. I had a headache, I felt it.
"Mommy!" I heard from next to me and flinched at the loud noise.
"Shh. Quiet down, Angel." I heard his voice and already knew what was going to happen next.

"Nora? Are you okay?" He asked me and I turned my head to look at him with my daughter in his arms.
"What happened?" I croaked out, feeling my throat dry as heck. I took a gulp of the water that was placed on the nightstand.

"You fainted." He answered and Emma extended her arms. I smiled as I watched Elijah place her on the bed and she crawled towards me.
"What else happened?" I asked once I saw his face. He looked as if he knew something I didn't.

"Is she my daughter?" He asked and I groaned.
"This again?" I asked. I will never tell him. He would fire me!
"Tell me the truth." He said and I rolled my eyes.

"No, she's not." I said and he nodded slowly.
"Great, so that paternity test I send a few hours ago was unnecessary." He smirked and my eyes widened. He did what?