13 - Date

"First of all, I'm her father, not a babysitter." He said and I rolled my eyes and looked at the clock. I had a little less than an hour to get ready.
"Yes or no, Elijah." I said, standing up.

"Of course, but-"
"Thank you. I need to get ready. Food is in the kitchen. If you want to watch tv, you can." I said, tossing him the remote and he easily caught it, but stood up to follow me to my room.

"Wait." He gripped my elbow, turning me around.
"Where are you even going?" He asked me. I pulled my arm away and turned back around to walk inside my room.

"I'm having a date and-"
"A date?" his voice was loud and I shushed him.
"Emma is sleeping." I glared at him, before walking towards my closet.

"What date? Like you and a guy?" It took me a second to answer and he already continued.
"What the fuck, Nora?" His angry voice surprised me and I glanced back at him, to see him sitting on my bed, glaring up at me.

"What is it?" I rolled my eyes, turning back around.
"You didn't even tell me you had a boyfriend. Who is the guy? Does he know about Emma?" He asked me and I sighed, before pulling out a red dress.

"He is not my boyfriend yet-"
"Yet?" I nodded, putting the dress back into my closet.
"Who is he then?" He asked as I pulled a purple dress out.

"His name is Richard and we are dating." I shrugged and heard him take in a sharp breath.
"Richard, of course. Tell me, Nora. Is that Richard guy 'safe'?" He pronounced safe in a weird way and I knew exactly why.

"Yes, Elijah. Richard is safe." I mocked him and threw him a look. He growled and stood up from the bed.
"Define safe to me. I still don't get it." He ordered and I shook my head.
"I'm a little busy right now, Elijah." I pulled out a black dress and decided to go with that one.

"I don't give a fuck. What does this Richard guy have that-"
"That you don't have?" I finished for him and he nodded. I shook my head and walked past him into the bathroom. I heard his footsteps follow me.

"Answer me." He demanded and I shrugged, turning around to look at him.
"Nothing." I said and he frowned.
"What do you mean nothing?" He sounded surprised and I rolled my eyes, before closing the door and locking it.

I took a quick shower, ignoring his knocking on the door and took my time. When I was finished, I did my make up and slid into the dress. I blow dried my hair and styled it, so that it was in a neat bun. The knocking stopped minutes ago and I hesitantly opened the bathroom door.

There was no sight of Elijah when I stepped outside and into my room. I took my purse and looked at the clock. Five more minutes and he should be here. I was excited, yet nervous. I was afraid he would leave me as soon as I mentioned Emma. But we'll see.

When I stepped into the living room, I saw Elijah sitting on the couch, a glass of water placed in front of him. I know he heard me come in, but didn't look at me. I was glad, but at the same time felt bad again. I had no idea why though.

I heard him gulp when I sat down next to him. I felt as if I had to explain everything to him. He was so angry a few minutes ago and now he was so calm and distant. I wanted him to know. I wanted him to know why I couldn't think of him as a potential boyfriend/ husband. But something stopped me.

He was looking at his glass, deep in thought and I sighed. I didn't know what to do.
"Tell me why I'm not safe." I heard him whisper and my eyes shot towards him. He wasn't looking at me and for some odd reason, I wanted him to.

"Elijah-"
"Is that Richard guy really safe?" He interrupted me.
"Yes." I answered.

"Why?" I couldn't answer.
"He just is." I said, standing up again. He tipped his head back, eyes closed. If he opened his eyes now, he would see me. But it feels like he was avoiding looking at me.

"Why am I not safe, Nora?" He finally opened his eyes, a hurt look overcoming his features but then, his eyes roamed my body. And his face expression changed. He looked at me in awe and stood up slowly, nearing me. Each stride of him made my heart beat faster.

"You look amazing." He stopped a few inches away from me, his intense look fixed on me. I felt my cheeks warm up and looked down.
"Thank you." I whispered and saw his hand find mine. I caught up on what he was doing and swirled around, just like he wanted.

When he stopped me, I came chest to chest with him and he looked down at me with so much adoration. I couldn't seem to look away and found myself closing my eyes when he leaned down. He was so close, I could feel his lips brushing against mine, when the doorbell rung and I came back to my senses, my eyes shooting open.

What was I doing?! I jumped away from him, much to his annoyance, because he rolled his eyes and sat back down on the couch, avoiding looking at me. I quickly walked towards the doorbell and opened it.

"Hey." I said once I saw the familiar face of Richard. He smiled and gave me a gentle kiss on the cheek. I cursed myself for thinking about Elijah kissing me.
"You look lovely." He told me and I thanked him. I didn't blush when he told me that.

"Shall we go?" I asked and he nodded, already turning around. I knew Elijah wasn't behind me, but I still turned around and he appeared at the door frame, his arms crossed. We locked eyes for a few seconds and when I heard Richard honk, I turned around to smile at him.

When I looked back, Elijah was already gone and I sighed, before walking out of the door.