7 - Proposal

Emma and I got released from the hospital the same day. It was now Tuesday and I was writing a few application letters. Because after Elijah found out that he was Emma's biological father, and we had that argument, there was no way I could continue working for him.

I ignored his calls and just focused on me and Emma. It was already past noon and Emma was napping while I stood up to make myself a cup of tea. My heart started beating faster when I heard the doorbell. And once I looked through the peephole, I cursed under my breath.

"What do you want?" I snapped when I opened the door and came face to face with Elijah. He had his hands in his pockets and was wearing a pair of jeans and a green pullover.
"Can I come in?" I snorted at his question.

"So you can take Emma away from me?" I ask and he frowned.
"I want to make an offer, so there is no court involved and we'll both be happy." He said and I thought about it, which made me curious. I nodded and let him in.

"Where's Emma?" He asked as he walked towards the living room.
"Napping. So what is your offer?" I asked him and sat down on the couch. I was about to close my laptop, when Elijah took a hold of it.

"Hey-"
"What the fuck is this?" He asked enraged and I snatched the laptop away from him.
"Application letters. Did you think I was going to keep working for you?" I glared.

"But I thought that was the reason why you didn't tell me in the first place?" He asked, softer this time.
"Yes, but now that you know, I have to leave." I said and he shook his head.

"No, you can't leave. Listen to what I have to say." He said and I sighed and closed the laptop, before turning to face him. I nodded and he finally opened his mouth.
"I was angry yesterday and shouldn't have threatened you. I'd like to apologize for that." He locked eyes with me and placed his hand on my knee.

"What did you really came here for?" I pushed his hand away and he frowned, hurt by my reaction.
"Let me have her for the weekends. You can stay and still be my secretary. If you don't want people to know she's our daughter, then we simply won't tell them. But as her father I think I have a right to be there for her." He said, looking at my reaction.

"The weekends are the only days I can be with her all day. No way." I shook my head and he sighed and looked at the floor.
"Then we'll spend them together." He said and looked hopeful.

"Elijah-"
"Why won't you let me be responsible? I'm not like the immature asshole like you always thought I was. I swear to you, I'm not." He said, making me scowl at him.
"It's not that-" I didn't know how to say it.

I just can't get close to him. I know I would fall for him again. I couldn't. I knew how he was when it came to women and I was one of them once. I had my heart broken when only a few days after we had sex, he called his female dogs to the office and they would do the nasty.
He should be lucky that we're the only people occupying the last floor. But still, doesn't he have any shame?

"Then what is it?" He asked impatiently. I knew I had no choice. He wanted to be a part of Emma's life and I had no real reason why he couldn't be. It's not like he would harm her. I knew that. I just shook my head and looked back at him.

"Okay." I whispered and he blinked a few times.
"What?" He asked.
"You can have her a few hours on the weekend." I said and his face lit up.

"Really?" He asked and I nodded.
"But-" I lifted my finger and stopped him from hugging me.
"You and I will not interact with each other. I'll watch you play with her and you'll ignore me. You'll watch me and I'll ignore you." I said and his face fell.

"What?" He asked with narrowed eyes.
"No talking between us two." I said.
"Why?" He asked and I shrugged.

"Just because you're her dad doesn't mean we have to be friends." I said and he glared.
"What is it with you? Why the fuck do you hate me so much?" He asked me and I rolled my eyes.
"Watch your language."

"To fucking hell with my language. I have been nothing but kind and respectful towards you. Even after we had sex, I still valued you." He said confused.
"Don't mention that again. You didn't bother mentioning it earlier, so why now?" I snapped.

"We have a daughter together, isn't that a reason to start interacting with each other? I missed a lot of her life already and-"
"You will be a part of her life, don't worry." I assured him and he sighed.

"But what about us, though? You have been my secretary for years. You never acted like this. So cold and rude. I'm used to your warm colors. What happened between us?" He asked.
"You found out about our daughter. That's what happened. It was just fine before that happened, wasn't it? And we could go on like this, but-"

"Fuck yes, we could. But I have a daughter for fuck's sake. We have a daughter. Don't you think we should at least try for her sake?" He asked me and I shook my head.
"We don't have to be a couple yet. Just talk, Nora." He said.

"I don't want that, Elijah." I answered honestly. I just can't get close to him. Even if we have a daughter together, there's no guarantee he'll stay. And I already have another man in my life, who might not be as attractive and interesting as Elijah, but he's safe and could be Emma's potential step dad.

He looked at me for a while and then dropped his gaze. I knew I was acting like a cold bitch, but I had to. I need him to dislike me, so I won't get any wrong ideas and mess things up for my future. I had plans. I finally wanted to settle down, have a great relationship and raise my child in peace.

"Alright." He murmured and stood up, before looking down at me.
"But you'll still work for me, right?" He asked and I shrugged.
"Please Nora, I need you." He pleaded.

"Okay." I said, not looking him in the eye.
"Thank you." He said and then without another word, he left.

What am I doing?