Day 36

Ben sat by one of the tables in the town hall tapping his fingers impatiently as he stared at a huge blown up poster of Samantha's smiling face. It's been almost two days since he heard from the detective and he was beginning to feel like he should pay him another visit.

But the memories of the jail cell and the humiliation he felt when Mrs. Greenberg had come to pick him up were still fresh on his mind and that kept him glued to his seat pondering on what to do next.

He should just call the lazy detective. A little egging on wouldn't hurt to speed up the process, would it?

He pulled out his phone from his pocket and began looking for the detectives number but as he was about to call him he heard Mr Greenberg mutter his name as he brought his phone to his ear.

At seeing this, Ben perked up and rushed to his side trying to eavesdrop but it was to no avail, he couldn't hear a thing.

When Mr. Greenberg's always present frown deepened Ben shot him a quizzical look to which Mr Greenberg merely held up his hand signalling him to wait. Ben tapped his foot impatiently and bunched his hands into fists to keep the anxiety at bay but somehow it didn't help at all.

He thought about the most recent case in the news; a girl who had been proclaimed missing around 7 days ago. Her name was Olivia Henderson and she did not look that much older than Samantha. Besides that there was no other similarities or connection but the fact that another girl had gone missing only about an hour's drive away made him feel sick to the stomach. Ben remembered the inspector saying something about other missing persons but so far this was the most public one since Samantha.

He only hoped that they were all alive and well somewhere although that was obviously wishful thinking.

"Ben," Mr. Greenberg said suddenly as he held his phone out to Ben. "He wants to talk to you."

The expression of shock on his face must have mirrored Ben's when he hesitantly took the phone from him. They both never expected the inspector to speak to anyone aside from Mr. Greenberg.

"Hello kid, miss me?" DI Morgan's gruff voice mocked him from the other end of the line.

"Ya sure," Ben scoffed but he could not deny how happy he was to hear an update.

"I just wanted to let you know that we confirmed everything you gave us and we can use it," He said slightly too cheerfully.

At hearing this Ben's heart fell, so there was no update? "I could've told you that,"Ben snapped and then immediately realized his mistake. There was no point pissing off the only person who had the authority and resources to find Samantha.

"I mean I'm sorry, I just thought you found something," Ben said softly trying to mollify the tense situation.

"Well if you'd just listen like you should have been doing since the beginning you'd realize I have more to say," DI Morgan replied angrily. "And don't think that I owe you any information boy, you're not the one in charge here."

"Yes, yes I know. Thank you for thinking of me," Ben replied hastily eager for more information.

"Well we have a tip regarding a missing person. We're heading out there today to check it out, if I find out anything I'll let you know," the inspector said.

"Is it about Samantha?," Ben asked but his voice came out as a whisper.

"No not her, but we'll check anyway. We are checking all possibilities here so anything could be related. The fingerprints you gave me might come in handy, so thank you," He said rather reluctantly.

"Where is this place? Can I come?" Ben asked wanting to get on his feet and do something.

"It's about an hour's drive away and you won't be able to do anything, so just hold your horses okay? I will let you and the Greenberg's know if we find anything."

"If there's anything I can do to help let me know," Ben said desperately.

"That's what I'm afraid of," the Inspector joked but when he was met with silence from the other end he sighed and replied "Yes, yes I will.

When the call ended Ben didn't know whether to be happy or sad. He sincerely hoped that the inspector would find something today because all their leads so far have been nothing but dead ends.

"What did he tell you?" Mr. Greenberg asked. "I didn't know the two of you talked."

"He told me he'd update me when he found something," Ben replied conveniently leaving out the part where he stole evidence. He didn't know how the Greenberg's would react to that so he chose to not tell them. Thankfully the detective had done the same.

"That's odd, he told me the same thing but I wonder why he would repeat it to you," Mr Greenberg said as he scratched his chin.

"Beats me,"Ben shrugged but he fidgeted nervously where he stood. All the Greenberg's knew was that he was kept in a holding cell for punching a fake attention seeking witness. That too had earned him a lecture when Mrs Greenberg had picked him up so Ben couldn't imagine the repercussions if they had found out the truth.

Mrs. Greenberg's words seemed to cut the tension in the air when she spoke. "What's important is that DI Morgan is doing his job and we should get back to ours."

And just like that Mr Greenberg shifted his unnerving gaze to the flyers on the table. He picked them up and without another word he marched off to a bunch of people at the entrance and began talking to them.

Ben still felt slightly uncomfortable with Mrs Greenberg staring at him so he excused himself and left the building. After news of Olivia missing he realized there were still so many places he hadn't looked. She was from Pittsburgh so he thought he might drive down there and put up some posters too. Maybe he might meet the inspector along the way. Either way he was going to head down to the station tomorrow for an update.

As he headed outside he stared up at the large grey clouds scudding across the dark and gloomy sky. He couldn't help but feel that the worst was yet to come.

***

"Here take this," Jerry said as he passed Samantha a small woolen blanket to cover herself. The weather was gloomy today and it looked like it was going to rain heavily soon. There was a slight chill in the air and despite sitting in front of the fireplace she still felt cold.

He went back to the kitchen to bring them both tea but on his way back Samantha heard a loud crash as the teapot fell unto the floor and shattered into many pieces.

She turned around and got up to help but he shouted at her to stay where she was.

"Don't move," he repeated. He then cursed again and went to the back. Samantha noticed he'd been acting very strange these past few days. He was always on edge, always looking over his shoulder as if waiting for someone to pop out of no where.

Once she'd over heard him listening to the radio in his room. That was when she heard the news of Olivia. Before this she had been planning to regain some of her strength and then she'd try and escape either that or just give up and stay with him. But now she realized all she had to do was sit here and wait.

The police were looking for Olivia and it was only a matter of time before they started to look for Jerry. And if what he said was true, that this lake house was in his name then there was only a matter of time till they were found. Which was probably why he was being so erratic.

But she also knew he was much to smart for that. He always had a plan B, so she gave herself two more days to wait for them. If the police weren't here by then she was going to tie him to the bed once he fell asleep and get out of this place.

She watched him clearing up the mess he made. No more feeling sorry for this person. In two days she was going to leave him for good and then she would go straight to the police. He wouldn't know what was coming till it had hit him in the face.

She smiled to herself at the thought.

Heyyy, shit's about to go down in the next few chapters. Stay tuned to find out!! If you enjoy what you've read please vote/comment/share :) :) :) Thank you!!