Day 39

I stared at the wooden clock that sat at the corner of the living room. It was 12.01 am, another day on the run, another day in hiding. I didn't know how long I could live like this. Spontaneity was not my thing. I was good at making calculated moves, ones where I knew all the possible outcomes.

Placing my head in my hands I sighed loudly ignoring the muffled sounds Samantha was making next to me. I had tied her up after she blatantly pointed a gun at my head and pulled the trigger. Had it been loaded I would be a dead man right now and that made me infuriated.

After everything I had done for her, for us she actually wanted me dead. Killing her would've been my first choice of action but she was the only leverage I had in case the police were to come barging in at any moment. That and the fact that after everything I had done, I just couldn't imagine my life without her. So instead I tied her up and kept her next to me while I contemplated what to do next.

It was like she liked being tied up. I gave her freedom and she had abused it, she just loved being caught. Looking up again I stared at her sitting there looking so utterly helpless. Those blue eyes were begging me for mercy but the truth was I didn't know what was going to happen.

All I knew was we were running out of time. And I only found out today because an officer named Johnathan Ducain had opened my email this morning and unsuspectingly clicked on the link I had set up. A link that led me straight into the police stations server which led me to learn about their progress on Olivias case and surprisingly they were faster than I expected.

Somehow they had already discovered that I had something to do with Olivia being missing. There was nothing about Samantha in his laptop but judging by how vague his information was I knew he wasn't the main guy on the case.

It was sort of disappointing that he had been the only one who opened my anonymous email. But I did learn that they had put out an APB on me and that meant I was in deep shit. Being unprepared made me indecisive. I didn't have fake IDs and passports for us, nor did I have enough cash to last us till the end of the month. We were sitting ducks over here, just waiting to be caught.

Well in Samantha's case she was probably happy to be rid of me. If only she was more cooperative, then the two of us could run away and move to a small town somewhere until we figured out what to do. But this damn girl didn't want to be with me so that made leaving this place a big fat question mark.

I untied the cloth I had stuffed into her mouth before this to shut her up. I had to somehow convince her to run away with me.

"You can't keep me tied up here forever you know," she choked out.

"I know," I growled irritated at her stating the obvious. "That's why you're going to listen to my plan and follow what I say."

She rolled her eyes in response. "Please that's not going to happen, you might as well just keep me tied up here."

Losing my patience I grabbed her chin roughly making her wince and forced her to look at me. "That's not your decision to make Samantha. Now you are going to pack your stuff upstairs and we are going to leave this place, okay?"

She tried to wriggle out of my grasp but I only held on tighter.

"Listen I forgive you for pulling the trigger on me. You were probably scared and well we all make mistakes, I of all people should know," I smiled but she only looked at me horrified. "We need to be on the same side. You said so yourself, you wanted to move to a small town and live a peaceful life with me. Maybe have children?"

At hearing this she smiled smugly. "Remember when I pleaded for us to run away together and you flat out refused? You're only saying this because you're desperate Jerry. And you know what I'm not falling for it."

I wanted to protest but she cut me off by speaking again.

"Don't you get it? Your plan has fallen apart and there's nothing you can do about it except turn yourself in. This is your chance to redeem yourself from all the mistakes you've made. You may not realize it but kidnapping someone and locking them in you're house is wrong. Murdering someone is even worse. You've reached a dead end Jerry, now's your chance to save yourself. Be the person I know you can be."

I stood up and started pacing in front of her. We were sitting in the dark but the moonlight lit up almost half of the room and I could see hope plastered all over Samantha's face.

"Well that would just be fucking convenient for you, wouldn't it? I go to jail and then you would be reunited with your lover Ben. Such a perfect happy ending. Well sorry to burst you're bubble but things will never be the same for you either sweet heart," my voice was laced with venom as I spoke.

"It's not about Ben you idiot! It's about my life, my freedom. You took that away from me, you took everything from me! I'll never be the same again," she cried and I saw tears threaten to fall at the corners of her eyes..

I crouched down next to her and wiped her tears with my fingers. I hated to see her cry. "I too will never be the same again. I'm sorry for what I did to you but you must know I never meant to hurt you. My intentions were always good. All I wanted was for us to date each other without any distractions. That is why we need to leave this place together. Start afresh some where else."

"Somewhere the police won't catch you? I'm not going anywhere Jerry. You can chloroform me again but you can't keep doing it while we travel. You're going to have to drag me out of here because I'm not moving."

Why was she being so damn stubborn. I realized I was going to have to force her into it. I picked up the gun lying idly on the table and flicked open it's chamber. She watched in horror as I slowly took out two bullets from my pocket and inserted them one by one pausing in between for a more dramatic effect which seemed to have worked. She looked like she had stopped breathing, her face had turned a pale shade of white as I locked the magazine back into place and a "click" sound was heard.

I then disengaged the safety lock and carefully placed it directly on her forehead. She visibly flinched when the barrel touched her skin and she closed her eyes as she breathed raggedly.

"I'm dead serious Samantha. We have two options here. Either we leave together or I kill you and then I shoot myself. You decide."

"You won't do it. If you love me, you won't kill me," she whispered but her trembling body said she believed otherwise.

"Remember what I told you? Till death do us apart. One cannot be without the other love, you'll soon realize it. It could have been any other girl Samantha, but it was you I met when I was looking for the one. It was you that captivated me. Fate brought us together and now it's your choice to keep us together,"I said as my free hand gently stroked her hair, the need to touch her stronger than ever.

At my words she stopped trembling and took a deep breath. When she opened her eyes, I didn't see fear instead what I saw was resolve and strength.

"Then I choose death."

I sighed in response slowly accepting my faith and pressed the barrel firmly into her skin. "Fine so be it. Any last words then?"

She was about to respond but we both froze when we heard the sound of police sirens blaring outside the lake house.

Ookayy, we are nearing the end people! Stay with me :) :). This chapter is a little shorter because I decided to split up the chapters instead. I have plans for the end of this story so don't worry there are still a few more chapters to go.

Also I wanted to thank everyone who has voted and commented and shared so far. This story reached 23# on mystery thriller two days ago which has been its highest ranking so far. I really hope it makes it to top 10#, fingers crossed :)

Anyway bye for now, love you guys!!

Quick question: Happy ending or sad ending? Which do you think/hope will happen?