Chapter 3

Mostly edited, but sorry for any spelling or grammar errors. Dedicated to Soulshifter2love. Anyway, Chapter 3 is here! Hope you guys enjoy!

******************************************************

Layla

The bright sun woke me from my deep sleep. The leaves, and furs that I had added to my den made my bed comfortable, and I could fall asleep easily in it. I glanced up at the sky, and gazed around at my surroundings. There was water dripping from the twigs and branches, alerting the arrival of spring.

It was probably around seventy degrees already; unnaturally warm for a new spring day. I stretched my cramped limbs, and pattered out of the den. I was used to sleeping out in the woods.

I bounded to the narrow, clear-water stream that stood a little ways from my den. The spring-water slid down my parched throat, as I lapped at it contently.

'I'm hungry! Let's hunt!' The voice of my inner wolf, my original form, spoke out.

When a pure or dark shifter is born, their parents decide on an animal that will protect the son or daughter. The animals soul then enters your soul, and you become one. You get a special power that you both share, and you can talk to one another. My power is healing, and my animal is the wolf.

"Alright, Canis Lupus, we will hunt then,' I laughed at my wolf. 'Canis, we will find a fat deer.' Inside, Canis panted with anxiety. Not from the hunger, I felt, though.

'What's wrong, Canis?' My wolf's nickname, as I called her, meant Gray in Latin.

'I-I don't- I don't- know.' She finally managed to get out, but I was already starting to figure out what she was saying.

I could only stare at the glittering water of the stream, as my whole body began to tingle. Although it had scared me, Canis was surprisingly calm.

'Why are you so calm?' I hissed at her, urgently waiting for an answer.

'Oh, Layla, I don't know, but isn't it a wonderful feeling? I don't know why it's happening, but it must mean something!' Canis said, day dreaming, it seemed like.

Meanwhile, I was becoming frantic. I whirled around from the shining surface of the water, and went to take shelter in my den. Take shelter from what, I don't know. I can't shelter myself from a tingling that goes on inside my body.

Peaking out of the den, the tingling became numbing to me. It began to grow more and more, until I couldn't feel my paws.

'Layla, INSIDE!' Canis suddenly roared mentally.

Before I had time to ask why, two male wolves popped out, on the opposite side of the stream as my den was. Luckily, the rocky den was too well hidden for the to spot it- but was my scent masked?

Then I looked wide eyed at one of the male wolves.

It was the gigantic red-black wolf I had seen in the trail. He was walking calmly with another male, probably the beta of his pack. I sunk down lower in my den, hoping not to be seen.

"...skin is tingling right now, Leo, like...like- I don't know, but something. And I don't know what. We need more protection around our territory. The female rogue I saw the other day was very hostile. There could be mo-" the wolf whipped around as I accidentally broke a twig.

He sniffed the air, but thankfully put it back down.

"Something wrong, David?" Leo stuck his snout in the air, and also put it back down, and almost shrugged.