Chapter 12

I'm back! I am soooo sorry for the long wait. I had family over that I haven't seen, appointments, etc. but I'm back now!

And I dedicated this chapter to an awesome person, Animalover27. She is the creator of the cover for this book! Go check her out, and follow her! And check out her story, Soul Shifter: A New Beginning.

Enjoy!

| Layla |

I glared into the bushes, searching for the voice that had just spoken. The twins and their mother came closer to me, and I began to growl at nothing, trying to find where exactly this unknown voice had come from.

The problem was, I could scent more then one-they weren't fully human- they were hunters, as David had explained to me. And the man who had spoken, was Jordan, the man I met almost a week and a half ago.

The man I wished I had never seen again. He had scared me when he tried to shoot at me, while I had been a squirrel.

"You see, we are here, for you, Layla." Jordan laughed, and emerged from the undergrowth, along with at least ten other hunters. They had a disadvantage- they only had speed, no werewolf strength, sense of smell, or their own wolf.

But the four of us, to, had a disadvantage- we were outnumbered by the hunters, and at least four of them had guns. I could heal myself with one gun shot, but how many could I take? How many could the the twins and their mother take?

They began to get closer and closer, their guns poised at our heads. If we made one move, they were sure to kill us. I stared at the four men in front of me, my whole body tense. In the corner of my eye, I could see a tear in Alexa's eye.

And that was when I remembered the mind-link. Of course! I could use it to contact David! But would he get here in time?

'David! Quick! The meadow that we were in a few days ago! Hunters!' I sent to David, hoping he would get here before anything terrible could happen to anyone.

He quickly replied to my message, with 'On our way,' He said urgently, and left the mind-link. I looked down, not making eye contact with the hunters. Until Jordan decided to approach me, making me tense.

He put his hand under my chin, and lifted up my head. I slapped him, and he laughed. I glared at him, while the twins' mother held her children close by her side, not letting the hunters anywhere near them.

Jordan circled around me, while his allies stayed planted in a position around us. Their guns were pointed at us, still, and we couldn't make a move- if we did, they were sure to kill us. I just had to hope that David would get here in time.

"Layla, funny thing is...we are taking you to our 'head quarters', if that's what you may call it. We can't have someone as powerful as you, running around, making plans to eliminate us..." Jordan laughed evilly, and I sneered. So he knew what I was...

Jordan opened his mouth to give an order to his ally, when a creature with amazing speed burst through the bushes, making the guys who had guns, drop them at their feet. The creature quickly killed one hunter, and then stopped moving.

She faced us, and I could finally see her clearly. She was a werewolf, no doubt- her eyes showed human-like understanding. They were a bright blue green, and her coat was a blinding white, with a twinge of a silver back.

Still in werewolf form, she winked at us, so that we would know that she was on our side. She launched herself at another hunter, while I motioned for the twins' mother to get the guns away from them.