Chapter Five

Sam's P.O.V

It didn't take long for me to fall for Matt. I admired his loyalty, how he treated his friends and what he would do for the people that he cared about.

I knew that he would always be there for me no matter what — That was something I never had growing up.

Although, our first date didn't go as planned. We went to the movie theatre, I lied to my parents and told them that I was studying with Anna at her place.

He put his hand on my thigh while the trailers were playing. My reflexes kicked in and I whipped my palm against his cheek as a result.

I ran out of the cinema in tears and Matt chased after me.

"I'm sorry" He apologized.

I didn't like to be touched. Whenever I was, my reflexes would kick in. My brain was wired to flinch at any sudden movements.

"No, I am" I sniffed, looking down at my trembling legs. "I just...don't like to be touched that's all..."

He stood in front of me, meeting my gaze softly. In hindsight, I think he knew it then. I think he could see behind all my bullshit excuses and could see that I had been hurt.

"Can I touch you?" He whispered, leaning in towards me.

I met his gaze and nodded slowly. Matt wrapped his arm around, pulling me into a hug. He held me for as long as it took for me to stop crying. When he pulled away, I kissed him.

When I got home my father was waiting for me.

He clenched his jaw in anger, looking at me like he was looking deep into my soul.

I took a nervous deep breath while my heart began to pound.

"You lied to me Samantha, I called Anna's parents and they told me you were not at their home" my father raised his brows, "where have you been?" He questioned.

"I went to the movies with Anna" I lied, avoiding eye contact, "I didn't want you to know that we were there so instead I said we were studying"

I remember the murderous gaze vividly as I attempted to push past him to get to my bedroom.

"Where do you think you're going?" my father stood tall in front of me.

My heart rate spiked in fear as stomach knotted up.

Before I knew it, I was pinned up again the wall with his hands around my neck. It felt as though my soul was being sucked out of me. I began gasping for air as my face grew red.

"Honour thy father and thy mother" he hisses as his eyes widen in anger, "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour" he quoted the ten commandments.

My father was a corrupted Mormon minister who began to believe that he himself was God.

"Stop" I struggled to scream as I felt myself growing light-headed.

"I'm getting sick of your attitude" he spat, "sick!"

"Okay," I agreed just as he let's go.

I began coughing, stumbling into my bedroom.

The only thoughts going through my head were relief. Relief that he hadn't bruised my face again.

"Damn" Jenna's eyes widen, "Matt never knew about your dad?"

I shrug. "We never talked about it"

Anyway, it was months after our first date when I knew that Matt was special. There was one night in particular that made it clear to me what kind of person he truly was.