Chapter Twenty-Five

Sam's P.O.V

I stayed in Chicago for an additional week, so I could be there for Diana's funeral which was held on her twenty-second birthday. All my friends from high school showed up, along with her Diana's friends, family and Henry's family. Matt showed up but we didn't speak. I kept my head down and refused to let anyone notice me. I was hurting and the only thing stopping from drinking my way through the service was baby Gabe.

After the service, the baby and I said goodbye to Henry's parents before hitting the road. I buckled Gabe into his baby seat in my Range Rover Evoque. The drive was a long one, with frequent stops to bottle feed Gabe. I spent most of the road trip meditating on everything that happened.

Once we arrived at my apartment, I had Andrea already there ready to help me with my box's. Diana had left me a crib, box's full of baby clothes, toys, books which Diana helped me unload from the car.

My parent's house sold quickly, along with all their belongings. I found myself with a lot more money then I had ever had. Dylan and Bobby came over soon after I returned home and helped me set up the baby room.

"So how long is the kid staying?" Andrea asked as holding the baby as the boys put the crib together.

"Just until his dad comes back" I explained.

"So it could be years?" Bobby asked.

"No" I shook my head, "it'll be more like months"

"It'll be hard though" Dylan started as he and his brother put together the crib on the floor. "Seeing him go"

"Yeah I guess it will be but when the time comes I'll deal with it" I nodded, "because at the end of it all, he's not mine"

There's a moment of silence as Andrea's eyes filled with sadness. She then looked at baby Gabe and grinned.

"He's so cute," she said in a high pitched voice.

"Well, thank you" Bobby grinned.

"Not you, the baby!" Andrea cried as picking up Gabe.

"Hey, Kat, I am sorry for your loss" Dylan lowered his voice.

"We all are" Bobby added, reverting his gaze to me.

"It must have been hard" Dylan started slowly, "going back home for your parents funeral...only to find yourself going to you're sister's the next week"

I inhaled deeply. Nothing about it was fair, but what good what it be being angry at the world?

"It was," I told them, directing my gaze baby Gabe who sat in Andrea's arms. "But at least I've come back with the cutest thing in the world"

"Yes, I am" Bobby teased.

"Will you shut up, please!" Dylan begged his brother.

I chuckle. Bobby may be an idiot but at least who always knows how to make me laugh.

"I can't believe that your slutty sister slept with your ex" Andrea spat in disgust.

"They did it to get back at me" I assumed.

"Did it work?" Dylan asked.

At that moment everyone looked up at me and silence filled the room. I look down at my fingertips that drummed against the table.

"Yeah, I guess it did" I admitted. "Not because I was jealous or anything...it's just....how would you feel if your ex slept with one of your sibling's?"

"That would be disturbing" Dylan picked up one of his tools and twisted a nail into the wood.

It was half an hour later when Bobby and Dylan were finished putting together the crib and we bought a pizza from a place that had opened up around the corner from my apartment.