Chapter Eighteen

Matt's P.O.V

Everything was going well in my life. Mum was healthy again, the hotel was a hit and I was finally successful. I was being invited to other big hotels across the country as a guest. One trip, in particular, stands out to me,  I had received an invitation to check out a hotel in Queens. At first, I was reluctant to go because that's where my dad lives. With some convincing from mum, I left town with Chace for our long road trip to Queens. Mum ran the hotel whilst I was gone, assuring me that things wouldn't fall apart due to my absence. 

As soon as we arrived, we got settled into the hotel. The next thing I did was something that I had been putting off for years. Chace went to a strip club, whilst I went to a restaurant called Sugar and spice. At this restaurant, I would be forced to confront a man from my past. I walked through the stylish restaurant, with a shaky deep breath and a very casual outfit. 

When I finally stopped stalling and made it to the counter and spoke to the woman behind the desk.

"Hi, is the owner here?" I asked her.

"Can I ask who's asking?" She faked a smile.

"His son," I said without hesitation.

She seemed surprised at first but then nodded. 

"Come this way," She directed me behind the counter

"You know what" I started "never mind"

It was just too hard, way too hard. So I turned around and began walking out. Why did I feel this deep need inside me to see him? 

"Matt!" A familiar voice called. I turned around slowly and sighed.

And there he was. 

I slid my hands into the pockets of my jeans and took a few steps towards him.

"Hey" I greeted.

"What are you doing here?" He smiled.

"I was in town so I thought...what the hell," I told him honestly.

My father was my height with dark hair, blue eyes, tanned skin. He was dressed in a chefs uniform. I hadn't seen him since I was a kid. I remember being surprised at how much I looked like him.

"Well I'm glad" he smiled, wrapping his arms around me. "What took so long for you to see the place?" He asked as we took a seat at the closes empty table.

"Well you know, we fixed up the hotel and I've been taking care of mum"

"Oh that's right, she told me about the great job you've been doing...With the hotel I mean" he started "so tell me, Mr Marino, you got a girl?"

My mind went back to the most serious relationship that I've ever been in and how she stole eighty grand from me over a year ago and disappeared off the face of the universe. I found it weird how her family never filed a missing persons report or never seemed remotely concerned about her wellbeing. I asked Noah about and he just told me that she's dead to her family.

"No, I don't," I answered truthfully, "I did have one but we broke up over a year ago...I mean I'm assuming we broke up considering she stole 80 grand from me, and I haven't seen her since"

"Is that Sam?" He questioned, "your mum told me about what happened"

"What doesn't she tell you?" I smirked.

"She didn't tell me that you were coming," he said.

"Chef!" Someone cried. We both turned around to see someone from his staff, "there's an emergency in the kitchen"

"Can't Jay handle it?" Dad questioned.

"Jay is sorta on fire" he admitted, "well at least his apron is"

My eyes widened in surprise 

"Alright, tell them I'm coming" dad sighed, looking over to me "I need to go"

"No worries I get it" we both stood up simultaneously "you're busy"

"Thanks...you know what" dad started "how about you come back Friday night...say seven o'clock and I'll make you dinner"

I agreed "see you then"

I think a part of me wanted to connect with my father. Deep down, I felt like a little kid again who all he ever wanted was to see his dad.

While walking out of the restaurant, I saw a Range Rover Evoque drive off. It looked a lot like mine. I shook my head. There's no way, I thought. I then wondered if I would ever see Sam or that car again.

I felt my cellphone buzzing from my pocket, I pulled out my phone to find mum flashing across the screen.

"Hello" I answered, walking down the sidewalk.

"How is it going so far?" Mum asks.

"Pretty good actually," I told her honestly, looking over my shoulder at my dad's restaurant, "how's the hotel?"

"It's fine...everything is running smoothly," she assures. "How's the hotel that you're staying at?"

"Classy but boring" I admitted, "Chace has been spending most of his time at a strip club...He and Demi broke up a few days ago so he's trying to distract himself"

"Did he say what happened?"

I shrugged. "no, all he's said is that he's trying to get over her"

Which didn't go well. They ended up getting back together after no time at all.

When I spotted a cab driving in my direction, I stuck my hand out and hauled them in. The cab came to a halt at the kerb and I slid into the backseat.

"Ma, I call you back later, I just got in the cab," I told her, "Love you"

"Love you too, bye Matty"

"Mi Amor Hotel," I said to the cab driver.

My eyes were focused on the streets of Queens. I admired every building and every tree. So this is where dad has been living? I thought. I didn't regret seeing my dad that day. I think that it was important for me to know what kind of life he had been living for all that time. 

When the cab stopped in front of the hotel, I found Chace standing by the kerb with a cigarette in his hand.

"Hey Matty" he greeted as I jumped out of the cab.

"How was the strip club?" I asked, walking towards him.

"Better than the ones back home" he laughed, "and they said that they have a special guest striper coming Friday night, her name is Titti Kitti" he announced, "you should come"

"I've actually got plans Friday at my dad's restaurant" I admitted, "which reminds me, you wanna come?"

"Sure than afterwards we can watch hot girls take off their clothes right?"

"Chace-" I rolled my eyes.

"Fine we can also get a lap dance" Chace grinned.

"What does all this have to do with you and Sam?" Daniel raises a brow from beside him.

I look over to him and sigh.

"I'm getting to it" I assure.

"This century I hope" he teases.