Five

Saturday came with a blink of an eye, and with all the chaos going on around us I had no time to talk to Blair about Shawn leaving Monday for New York. I knew I would need to tell her soon, but she was too strung out trying to get us both ready and to the dance on time.

She straightened my tie. "You look good."

"I know," I beamed.

"You're so arrogant."

"It's called confidence. Arrogance is when you think you look better than everyone else."

"Touché." Blair patted my chest. "Ready?"

I grabbed my keys and a small flask I had fixed earlier. "Ready."

"Are you really bringing alcohol?"

"Is that a serious question?" I laughed. "Don't be a prude."

She rolled her eyes. "Shawn's gonna want pictures."

I groaned as she pulled me out of my room.

He and Megan sat at the island in the kitchen, and when we walked out their eyes fell onto me and Blair. Shawn smiled as he stood. "Wow. Sam you fixed your hair."

"I fixed her hair," Blair defended. "And I did her makeup, and picked her outfit-"

"We get it," I interrupted.

Shawn searched for his phone to take pictures while Blair primped herself in the mirror. Megan, who was dressed nice for chaperoning later, joined me in the living room.

"You never told Shawn about the test," I claimed, knowing we hadn't talked since Thursday afternoon.

"No," she admitted. "With him leaving and you tearing down the fence... It just would've made everything harder."

"For?"

"For you."

I looked over to her. "Thanks..."

She shook her head. "Yeah well, that's enough serious talk for now."

She then proceeded to fix the collar of my button down. Her fingers brushed against my jaw and I swear my entire body was aflame. Her eyes were focused on my collar but mine were focused on her. What was she doing?

But as soon as the moment had started it was over, and I was left confused. What on earth was that?

"Alright you and Blair get together," Shawn ordered. I was pulled out of my trance.

Blair hugged me close and whispered. "I saw that. Don't think I didn't see that, Samantha."

"Enough," I demanded through a clenched smile.

Shawn snapped a few pictures and smiled. "I really can't believe your attending a school function, much less homecoming."

Not without help, I thought. I forced a laugh, aware of the pressure from my flask sitting under the waistband of my pants.

"We should go if we wanna be on time," Blair stated.

Shawn put his hand on my shoulder. "I'm assuming you're not coming home tonight?"

"Probably not."

He hugged me close and sighed. "Have fun but be safe please."

I gave him the best reassuring smile I could manage before disappearing out the door. As much as Shawn hated how reckless I could be it was a miracle he still allowed me to have a life.