Twenty-Three

I felt like a completely different person come Monday morning. There was a lightness in my step as I found myself looking forward to getting through the day just so I could see Megan. I couldn't remember the last time I had been happy to be at school, and apparently Blair found this weird.

"What'd you do?" she asked.

I shrugged. "I don't know what you mean."

"I mean you look like you're up to something."

I knew I needed to tell her what had gone down this weekend but I could already anticipate her reaction.

"Megan came over Saturday," I confessed.

"What?"

"Yeah," I confirmed. "And she stayed the night."

This time Blair squeezed my shoulders. "What?!"

I laughed at her predictable reaction. "You're gonna give me bruises."

"You deserve them!" Then she slapped me on the arm. "I can't believe you didn't call and tell me!"

"I wanted to tell you in person."

"Wait." Blair stopped walking. "Did you two...?"

"No," I answered. "We didn't sleep together. I mean we slept together but we didn't... you know."

"Are you serious?"

"Yep."

She stood in front of me and held my face in her hands. "Who are you and where's the Sam that I know?!"

I rolled my eyes. "I figured you'd be proud."

"Oh I am, but I'm also in shock," she said. "So why didn't you?"

I thought about it and remembered what I had felt that night. There had been a moment of hesitation, which never happened to me. That had scared me into stopping. But why?

I shook my head. "I don't really know. We came close but I ended up stopping her."

Blair just stared at me in confusion. Then a lightbulb went off in her head as she smiled. "I know why you didn't."

"Why?" I asked.

"Because," she paused. "You actually care about what Megan thinks, and that intimidates you."

"Megan does not intimidate me."

"Yes, she does."

Okay, maybe she was right.

I remembered her reaction when I had told her about Emma and realized this time was so much better. But why? This was Megan we were talking about. My brother's best friend-slash-my history teacher. Any normal person would advise me to run as far away as possible.

"Wow," she mumbled. "So does this mean you two are a thing...?"

Now this is where things got tricky.

"Um, well we didn't exactly label anything," I answered. "She said we would take it day by day."

"Fair enough."

I filled Blair in on everything else we had talked about that night and found pleasure in reliving it. Of course, I hadn't been able to stop thinking about it since anyway. Blair thought it was the best thing since sliced bread and I couldn't understand why.

She was happy for me, I got that, but I wasn't even sure if Megan and I would work out. But I knew deep down letting her go would be near impossible.