Eight

After the whole meeting with Nikki everything had quieted down. For the most part anyway. The rest of the week had passed with ease and consisted mostly of me staying awake through all of my classes and acing a history quiz. Megan had been proud and would probably stay off my back for the next few days while I actively avoided Emma during the same week.

That was until Friday when she caught me in the hallway.

"Sam," she called. "Hey, what are you doing tomorrow night?"

I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss her, because I did. I just knew excessively talking to her would cause the weird feelings to resurface. It was happening right now just standing near her.

"Um, I'm not sure," I answered.

"You should come to my house," she suggested.

"What?" I nearly choked.

"I'm having a party. My parents are out of town for their anniversary."

Was it just me or did Emma look extra good today? And how had she gotten away with wearing that low-cut shirt-

"Sam. Hello?"

I snapped out of my head. "Sorry. I uh, was having a moment..."

She wrinkled her brow. "Will you come?"

I nodded. "Y-Yeah, I'll stop by."

"You should. I would really like that."

The tension between us caused me to itch. I decided to break it. "As long as you don't spill your drink on me this time."

She frowned. "Ha. Ha. See you later."

I waved her off with a smile before making it to Megan's class. Instead of standing at the door she sat at her desk, her reading glasses on the edge of her nose. Her long, dark hair flowed over her shoulders and spilled onto the table. Her red pen marked against the papers that sat in front of her.

She felt my gaze and looked up, forcing me to snap out of my head. Her lips pulled into a confused smile as I took a seat. What the hell was that?

Class proceeded with Megan closing up the chapter we had worked on during the week. I grew bored and pulled out my phone every two minutes to check the time. That's when I saw I had a text from Blair.

It read: Heard about Emma's party tomorrow. We goin?

I shifted in my seat before responding, Yeah, told her I would stop by.

She answered immediately. She seriously convinced you to go to another party?

She's a friend. She didn't have to convince me.

You don't go to high school parties willingly, Sam. You and I both know that.

I began typing, Why does it even matter-

An open hand was placed in my view. My heart dropped to my stomach.

"Hand over the phone, Miss Carson," Megan demanded.

I gave her a pleading smile. "Meg... Miss Adams, can I just put it away?"

"You know phones aren't allowed."

"It could be an emergency."

"Like?"

"Like..." I paused. "My older brother. He's in New York and-"

"Hand it over."

I groaned. "But-"

"Detention after class," she finished before snatching my phone.