Fourteen

Emma didn't talk to me after the confrontation at the field. It stung knowing she was avoiding me, and it sucked because I wasn't sure if we were even still a thing. She would avoid me every time I even looked at her, and I had no idea what to do.

And when I had gone to tell Megan that night, she avoided me too. This was a surprise, and I had yet to figure out why she was doing such a thing.

Thursday afternoon had drug on just like Wednesday, but it meant there was only one more day till break. Megan's class was a bore considering she refused to even look at me, just like Emma. And to be quite honest, it was getting to me.

The bell rang and I stood to leave, knowing Megan wouldn't even bother telling me bye. Then again, why did I even care?

"Sam," she called, catching me off guard.

I turned. "Yeah?" Her gaze caused heat to flood through my body.

"Practice is cancelled today and tomorrow. Lee's going out of town."

Oh.

I nodded. "Cool."

She sat at her desk. "Close the door on your way out."

I was getting frost bite now. I closed the door but remained inside. It was killing me not knowing what was going on.

"Megan, are you still upset over the other day?"

She shook her head. "No Sam."

I moved closer. "Then what's going on?"

"Nothing's going on."

She refused to look up from her papers. Why was she doing this? Why did I even care? I shouldn't but I did. Should I show her that I cared this much? After the whole Emma thing, getting rejected was not on my to-do list.

"Okay well then why are you ignoring me?"

Ugh. I hate how vulnerable I sounded.

"I'm not ignoring you," she answered. "I'm just... busy."

"Busy with?"

"Grading."

"Oh really?"

"Yes really."

I leaned forward, both of my hands on her desk. "You've been staring at the same assignment for five minutes now."

She set her pen down and looked up at me, arms folded across her desk. She looked so hot like that. God, get it together Sam. This is a serious moment.

"That's because you insist on bothering me."

Ouch.

I held my ground. "I wouldn't be bothering you if you would stop ignoring me."

She sighed. "For the second time, I'm not ignoring you."

"You don't even look at me during class anymore," I stated. This caused her to hesitate with a response. Had I hit a nerve?

"Sam I messed up," she confessed. Okay what did that mean?

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I got way too personal with you. God, we talk about things I would never mention to any of my other students!"

I furrowed my brow. "None of that was really intentional."

"But it was preventable."

"You live with me, Megan."