Eleven

On the way to Megan's class the next day I decided to break the news about Emma to Blair. I figured she needed to be the first person to know. And I was also freaking out about the decision and needed someone to talk me down.

"So um, I did something yesterday," I confessed.

"Oh really?" she asked in a worried tone.

"Emma and I had a talk."

"Oh God."

I took a deep breath. "So I think I'm gonna try to um, you know, take it slow... Like her and I..."

"Don't hurt yourself," Blair interjected.

I shoved her. "I'm serious. I think we're gonna give it a shot."

But even when I expected Blair to be somewhat happy about this she continued to shake her head. Did she disapprove? The thought of that made my heart ache.

"Not that I'm not happy for you," she started. "But what in the hell gave you the idea to do that?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. I just know I like her more than most people. And she likes me too, so why not?"

"Because she's straight."

I rolled my eyes. "Labels are dumb."

"Oh so when did you stop caring about labels?"

"Since Megan and I had a talk about it."

This stopped her in her tracks. Literally. She stared at me. "You and Megan talked about Emma?"

"I mean, she may have come up in conversation a few times..."

"So in other words, Megan gave you the idea to try out your first relationship, might I add, with a straight girl."

"I expected a better reaction."

She sighed. "Look, I'm happy for you. I just don't want you to get hurt."

"Why would I get hurt?"

"Because," she paused. "Sometimes things happen. And you're not the easiest person to deal with when you're having a hard time."

"That didn't sound like a compliment."

"It wasn't."

I groaned. "Okay, as if I wasn't already freaking out over this... Now you've just made it worse."

We stopped walking at the end of the hallway, Megan standing outside her door. She had her hair up again today. I thought she looked extra cute when she wore it up.

"I'm happy you've decided to do this," Blair stated. "It'll give you the opportunity to learn the ropes and figure out what you like and don't like in a relationship."

"Are you comparing Emma to a test run?" I asked.

Blair shrugged. "Yeah, to kind of prepare you for..." She looked over to Megan. "...the real thing, you know?"

"The real thing?"

She just nodded while she slowly began to walk away.

I tried to get her to answer my curiosity. "What do you mean by the real thing!?"

But she disappeared without another word. God, she was so dramatic.

I made it over to Megan right before the bell, a confused expression on her face.

"What was the yelling about?" she asked.

"Oh nothing, just Blair being weird about my decisions."