The Brawl

Chapter 19: Percy POV

I sighed but said, "Ok, any requirements?"

"Um, just fight already?" Cato said, butting in. His face was flushed red for unknown reasons, as he snarled in my direction.

"Fine... whatever." I mumbled under my breath.

We both stepped into the arena, and the crowd went wild. I heard a mixture of boo's and woo's mainly headed in my direction. I smirked as I took my place on the left side of the stadium.

"Scared you're gonna lose little boy?" Cato taunted.

"Nah, I'm not scared of little kitty cats." I smirked.

"Well this 'kitty' is a tiger now." He responded with his hand stroking his sword.

"That was the best that you could come up with?" I smiled. Man, you can have the brawns but not the brains, not that I can really judge.

Cato's heroic response was giving me a particularly rude gesture that involved a middle finger. The crowd laughed at Cato, but once Renya strutted back in, they immediatly went mute.

"Ok, so we have a little face off today. Please welcome our reigning champion, the undefeated son of Mars, Camp Jupiter's pride and joy, Cato Acton!" Renya yelled as the crowd erupted in cheers, "And on the left we have a newcomer who is fighting for a voice, please welcome Percy Jackson!"

The stands gave no sign that they had heard Renya's second statement as they continued chanting "Cato" continuously.

"Swords up!" Renya cried as we both lifted our swords, "Ok, three, two, one, fight!"

I ran off the podium as fast as I could towards Cato. Cato seemed a bit taken aback, but he jumped off his stand after a few seconds.

I ducked and slashed, and within a few seconds I had my sword at his throat. That's what you get when your strategy is stabby-stabby instead of slashy-slashy.

"Give up now, oh great tiger?" I said, pressing to butt of the blade against his neck harder. I ignored the shocked reaction from the crowd and gave them a moment. I mean if your camps best warrior was defeated by a "12 year old amateur," what would your reaction be?

"Well, we have a winner! Give it up for... Percy!" Renya announced.

The crowds all cheered, but still remained a bit shocked, which I took offense to. I mean come on, can't a guy get a little bit of respect around here? Vita then walked up to Annabeth and whispered something in her ear. She had a shocked expression, but then her lips thinned as she nodded.

"Percy, come here!" Annabeth called, waving me over.

I jogged over to where they were standing, tilting my head slightly to ask whats up. Vita shifted uncomfortably, while Annie had a smug smirk on her face. I frowned and said, "So whatcha doin?"

"Well, Vita here just got conformation that the council will see you now."

"Well then, lets go!" I yelled, pulling her by her arm.

Annabeth was yelling for me to slow down as I half dragged her across the camp. She couldn't quite match my long strides, so I set her down while she just frowned at me. We then sprinted to the meeting area, but we ran into a familiar face along the way.

"Terminus."

I wanted to scowl and smack his stupid rock head, but instead I smiled and asked to get through. He actually seemed like a nice guy as we struck up a conversation about the mechanics of my pen sword. Well at least I tried to, I honestly had no idea how it worked.

We got through after five minutes of talking, and once we were through, we sprinted towards the meeting. Thankfully nobody was there yet, so we settled into our seats.

The rest of the council shuffled in, taking their seats hesitantly. They seemed intimidated, but who could blame them?

Renya cleared her throat and started to give a lecture about how they were to respect us and not interrupt us without permission. I smiled at Annabeth, knowing full well that little Octavian would be flat out awful with his ego.

Once Renya finished her speech, everyone was completely silent as we stepped onto the podium. I shook my hands out and began to talk. I talked about how we were both greek demigods, which got a few disgusted looks, but that chaos quickly cleared up when I mentioned how we needed to team up to defeat Gaea.

"So what do you want us to do?" Renya said as the voice of reason.

"Well Annabeth and I are going to pick up a few other assets to the job, but in the meantime you can just prepare the camp for battle. The greek camp will welcome you in a week, and after that it's war." I said with a straight face, but I was about to burst out in laughter due to the romans awkward facial expressions. But that feeling didn't last long, because I remembered something that I couldn't quite shake off.

I left the podium with Annabeth, and pulled her aside so she faced me. "You do know what I have to do right?" I said a tear rolling down my cheek.

She scrunched her eyebrows and shook her head. "What are you talking about Percy?" She asked.

"Well the only way to defeat Gaea is to close the doors of death first..." I trailed off, letting her mind finish the sentence.

To my surprise, Annabeth burst out laughing like those stupid hyenas from "Lion King." She dropped to her knees and wiped her eyes. "Perce, you do realize that we don't have to go again. We don't have the Thanatos or monster problem in this timeline. We just have to have Leo and Piper do their thing while the rest of the camps fight the monsters."

I gave a puppy dog eye look to Annabeth while she ruffled my hair. "Hey hands off the moneymaker!" I smiled, swatting her hand away.

"Whatever." She smiled as I pulled her into my arms, holding her for what seemed like forever.