THE FIRST ORB

THE FIRST ORB

   Walking along the narrow path against the cliff wall was a real test of one’s nerves. Byron was a great rock walker because of all of the “creek-walking” that he had done on his previous adventures in the woods. He also had many earlier opportunities during his adventures to test his balance and strength and courage as he encountered various challenging spots on his way from one place to another. But, this particular exercise up the steep cliff wall was testing his abilities even further.

   Ajobis, on the other hand, was taking it all in stride and skipping along the path like a sure-footed mountain goat.

   When they were about two-thirds of the way up the path, Byron caught up to Ajobis as he was leaning against the cliff wall at a rather wide space in the path.

   “Whew!” panted Byron. “This is intense.”

   “Oh, yes,” said Ajobis, calmly. “I keep forgetting about how treacherous this path seems on the first pass. I have been on it so many times now that it really does not bother me at all.”

   As Byron caught his breath, Ajobis continued, “Now, at this outcropping in the path, we must consult the orbs to determine any level of danger that may be awaiting us at the plateau. It is a blind ascent and anything, good or bad, could be waiting for us there. Please take out the orbs and let me have a look at them.”

   Byron reached into his pocket again and took out the leather bag and opened it and grabbed the three orbs. As he opened his right hand to show Ajobis the orbs, suddenly, the ground beneath him began to give way. He instantly dropped down about half a body length as Ajobis reached out and grabbed his left hand.

   “Help me! Help me!” cried Byron.

   “Hold on! Just hold on!” ordered Ajobis.

   Then, the ground below Byron jolted away again and Ajobis was slammed to his chest as he held tightly to Byron’s left hand. The rocks below Byron’s feet then gave way completely and he found himself suspended in mid air high above what he knew would be certain death after falling the great distance down onto the rocks below him.

   He was flailing his right arm back and forth to regain his balance, so Ajobis cried, “Be careful! Do not lose the orbs!”

   Byron became dizzy and his body was starting to be overcome with a strange feeling that he had never experienced before. “Help me! Help me, Ajobis!” he cried. “I’m falling!”

   Ajobis’ grip began to loosen as he strained to hold on. “I do not know how long… I cannot… Byron! Hand me the orbs! We cannot lose the orbs!” shouted Ajobis. “You will be alright! Please, I assure you! You will be alright! Just hand me the orbs and give me your other hand!”

   As Byron reached up to give Ajobis the orbs, the feeling in his body accelerated. Starting with his hands, his whole body changed into what looked like the first orb. He felt dense and heavy, and was not surprised at all when Ajobis could no longer hold onto him and finally lost his grip.

   Byron then crashed and careened rapidly down the cliff wall but, amazingly, he was doing more damage to the rocks than they were doing to him. And, when he should have felt terrified, instead, he was feeling exhilarated as he bounced and crashed and pulverized the rocks with every blow.

   When he finally hit the bottom of the valley, he landed squarely and solidly on his feet like a cat. He felt like a gymnast who had just performed a perfect routine and then stuck the dismount. Bright flashing lights were all around him and there was that tinkling sound in his ears. He felt his body coming back to him as he got dizzier and dizzier and finally passed out cold.