THE FOURTH GATE

THE FOURTH GATE

   Byron worked quickly to get Narrie free from the net. “Are you alright?” he asked.

   “Yes, I think so,” answered Narrie. “Boy, that sure was crazy!”

   “I’ll say,” agreed Byron. “Wow, what was that all about!”

   “I don’t know, but I’m sure glad it happened,” said Narrie.

   They then took a moment to examine their surroundings and discovered that they were outside of the dreadful building. It was wonderful to be in fresh air again. The area was still sterile and fabricated, but it looked like they were on the other side of the building and that they could continue walking along the coast, which was still off to their right, to get away from it.

   “I am so glad to be out of that dreadful place,” said Narrie. “Let’s get out of here.”

   Byron was removing the last part of the busted up strap from around his chest. Most of it got smashed to pieces between his hard transformed body and the rocks that were falling on him as he was carrying and shielding Narrie.

   “I am really happy to be outside, too. And, I would really like to just get as far away from here as possible,” agreed Byron. “But… ”

   “But what?” interrupted Narrie.

   “Well, unfortunately, I need to go back in there,” continued Byron.

   “What?” said Narrie, incredulously. “Why on earth would you want to go back in there?”

   “Well, I think it is because… I have a feeling that you were right and Ajobis was telling the truth about those creatures,” said Byron. “I think they did get that way after they gave away their orbs. I think they used to be like you and me.”

   “Ewww, I know, but that can’t be,” cringed Narrie. “They were just way too creepy.”

   “I know, but don’t you remember seeing them?” said Byron. “Their reactions made me think… there was just something about them that made me think that they were once just like us.”

   “I have to go back in, Narrie. I’m sorry. I just have to go back in.”

   Narrie got a somewhat sad and puzzled look on her face.

   So, Byron said, reassuringly, “It’s Ok. You can continue on to Jacobis and I will catch up with you later.”

   “But, Byron, you’ll be walking into a trap,” countered Narrie. “Ajobis will be there just waiting for you.”

   “Let me show you something else,” said Byron.

   Then, he reached into the left pocket of his cloak and pulled out the third orb. He held it out in the palm of his left hand, and said, “Look at this. See how this orb has several smaller different colored orbs embedded in it? And, see how three of those smaller orbs are missing, and five are still embedded in the bliss color?”

   “Yes,” said Narrie.

   “Well, take a look at this,” said Byron, as he opened his shirt and revealed his bare chest.

   “Oh, my!” gasped Narrie.

   What she saw were three of the small colored orbs embedded on Byron’s chest with some type of tattoo forming around them.

   “So, I know that I have five more gates to walk through,” said Byron. “Every time I walk through a gate, one of these small orbs slams into my chest.”

   “I have to finish this course, Narrie. I’m sorry.”

   “Then, I’m coming with you,” declared Narrie.

   “No! You can’t!” insisted Byron, surprised by that thought. “It will be way too dangerous for you.”

   “Look, you’re not the only one with a conscience, Byron,” said Narrie, firmly. “I think you are right. I think maybe those poor creatures just might need us. They might be in there begging for someone to come and help them get out of there.”

   Byron felt such a love for Narrie. He reached out and the two gave each other a strong embrace.

   Byron then looked Narrie in the eyes, and said, “Let’s do this.” So, he turned around and looked at the gate behind them. “The gate is still glowing, so I think we can go back in.”

   “I’m with you,” said Narrie, bravely.

   So, Byron closed his fist and the two adventurers went back into the dreadful building.