THE MARBLE GAME

THE MARBLE GAME

   [At this point in the telling of the story of The Adventure of Byron and Jacobis, we arrived at my father’s house. After we visited with him for a few hours, I then continued telling the story in the family minivan on the drive back home.

   While we were at Grandpa’s house, the children had their usual fun exploring the gardens and climbing an old fig tree. My son, who sits and listens quietly during my stories, told Grandpa that I was telling them a story on the way up to visit him. My father was pleased to hear that because he told stories to me and my siblings as we were growing up, too. I reminded him about the story that he told me when I was a boy, about a flying elephant named Blowbo, which I’m sure was a riff on Disney’s Dumbo. But Blowbo, rather, would stick his trunk into his mouth and blow himself up like a balloon to fly.

   My father laughed as his mind went back to those long gone days of telling stories to us.

   Then, my son asked Grandpa if he still had his marbles.

   He answered with a laugh, of course, and said, “Well, some people have told me that I have lost my marbles, but I can prove them wrong. Let me show you.”

   He then went into the house and came back out shortly with a leather pouch. All three children’s eyes widened in wonderment at the sight of that leather bag.

   “Wow,” said my father. “You all seem quite interested in these.”

   “Are those orbs?” asked the youngest.

   “Orbs?” questioned Grandpa.

   “The story that Dad is telling us has magical orbs in it,” clarified the oldest.

   “Did you play marbles with those when you were a boy?” asked my son. “Dad told us about that.”

   “Yes, I did,” answered Grandpa. “These marbles are one of my most treasured possessions. I have had them and kept good care of them for a long long time. Here, let’s take a look at them.”

   Then, he opened the bag and you should have seen the look on the children’s faces. They were spellbound.

   My father took quite some time explaining what made each of the agate marbles unique and special. There was a blue one with white swirls; and there was a red one – a cherry agate; and there was the largest one that he told them was the “shooter.”

   Then, of course, he had to explain the rules of playing marbles, which, not surprisingly, led to actually playing the game. We found a nice flat area of ground and smoothed it out and drew a big circle. Then, Grandpa taught us all about the art of aiming and shooting marbles. It was an absolutely wonderful and magical experience.

   After an early dinner, it was time for us to end the visit and pack ourselves back into the family minivan and head for home.]