Chapter 3

“What are you doing?” I asked him. He wasn’t really making sense. First he glares at me and then he wants to give me a ride home. What the hell is with this guy? “I just wanted to be nice.” He stated, looking away and letting me go at the same time. I didn’t know who this guy was and I certainly wasn’t going to trust him with my wellbeing.  “Actually I-“ Just then I saw Erik approaching the bus. “I would appreciate that a lot thanks.” I guess it’s sad that I would trust a total stranger more than I trust the kids on my bus, but maybe it’s better to find my allies and my enemies?

As we walked to his car I was debating my sanity. What the hell was I doing? Allowing myself to ride home with this guy!! ‘It’s okay Ash. The worst he could do is drive out to the middle of nowhere and kill you. No big deal.’ I didn’t realize I had zoned out until Damon opened the passenger side door. “Are you getting in?” Damon questioned, looking at me.

I swear, it took me an entire minute to figure out what language he was speaking. “Oh! Right, sorry.” I said taking the handle of the car door and getting in. It seemed to only take him a second to get to the other side of the car. He didn’t look at me as he pulled out of the school parking lot. We sat in silence for what felt like forever. “So I hear you play rugby. My cousin used to play that sport.” He stated still not looking at me. My eyes widened with confusion. Where had he heard that? “What?” Damon finally glanced at me, “My friend Jack told me.”

Shit

“I uh ya I play! Greatest game in the world!” I couldn’t believe Jack told this guy I was playing rugby. I know that I told him I did but who knew that he was friends with this dude? “So what’s it like? Playing rugby I mean.”

Double shit

My mind was racing with the rules and regulations that come with the violent game but I could remember very little. “It’s like... Well it’s like football! Passing the ball and hurting other people.” I gave a fake laugh. God I was pathetic. “Oh” he said sounding bored. “So how come you wanted to give me a ride home?” I asked, desperately trying to change the subject. To my surprise Damon flinched. “Why not?” He asked, sounding defensive. “Why do you think?” I mumbled looking out the window. Damon frowned, “What’s that supposed to mean?” what the hell? How did he even hear that it was barley a whisper.

“I-“ before I had a chance to answer we pulled into my driveway. “Thanks for the ride Damon I appreciate it.” I got out of the car and grabbed my bag. Before shutting the door I leant down and smiled at him, “Maybe we can do this again some time.” I said hopeful. Damon looked at me with a small smile, “How about I pick you up tomorrow and we could drive to school together?” This shocked me for a second. “Erm, sure I guess that would be great.” He nodded and smiled. I closed his car door shut and went up to my house. Looking back I realized he was driving away in a pitch black Lamborghini. How could I miss that? But when I walked into my house I realized something more important.

How did he know where I lived?