Emmett Forest x Reader

I was sitting on my couch with my headphones on, blocking the noise from all of the people around me. My roommates decided to have a party for the incoming freshman at Harvard Law. I hate parties and I still have to go over some things for class. I wish they would let me leave. As I'm sitting in the couch, I look out the window to see a ladder. I forgot that was there, and it lead to the roof, which should be very quiet. I run to my room, pack a bag with my law books, headphones, phone, portable charger, some paper and pencils, and a blanket and pillow in case i have to sleep up there. I go onto our extremely small balcony and begin to climb, eventually making it up to the top. I  lean against a wall and set up my books. I begin to study, but none of it is making any sense to me. All of the sudden, I hear a door open and I look up. I see someone with a backpack, but I can't see his face because it's very dark outside. He looks straight at me and speaks.

"Are you studying?"

"Well I'm trying to. I'm not really understanding anything though."

"I can help if you want."

"That would be great. Thanks."

He walks over to me and I pull out some paper and pencils and he sits down and pulls out a laptop. We both look up at each other and I laugh.

"Emmett! I couldn't see you because it was too dark."

"I thought you would have recognized me. I'm the only one who really comes up here."

"I didn't know that. Are you up here because of the party?"

"Not really, I always come up here. Wait, don't you live in that dorm?"

"Yeah, that's why I came up here."

"Makes sense, so what are you having trouble with?"

"Well, I've been reading a lot from my law book, but I'm having a bit of trouble understanding sedition."

"Ok, this is a tough one, this is almost at the end of the book. Sedition is legally defined as ''the criminal act of revolting against an established authority, usually in the form of treason or defamation of a government.'' In other words, if you are conspiring or plotting to overthrow by violent force, harm in any way, or more specifically, kill any authority figure in government, you have committed sedition. Understand?"

All I did was nod, and Emmett continued.

"Sedition not only covers a person's actions but also any words or writings in print that may incite, encourage or promote the overthrowing of a government. In our country, this would be very difficult to do, but in other countries where government is not as organized, stable, and industrialized, revolts happen often."

"Ok, I think I understand. That's something that I will probably never have to deal with unless I was a power ranger."

"That's right, although being a power ranger would be pretty cool."

"It definitely would be."

We laughed for a bit and I looked up. Emmett just stared at each other for a while, until he cleared his throat and continued.

"Um, do you know what the sedition act of 1918 is?"

"No, what is it?"

"In 1918, the Sedition Act was passed by US Congress as a way to protect the government against segments of the country that did not agree with its policies. The Sedition Act was passed to prohibit anyone from speaking negatively against the government, including speaking in a negative manner about the President. The belief was that, if you made false accusations or spoke negatively about your own government, you could cause instability within the country, as well as put the President's life in danger. If accused of Sedition or Seditious Libel (negative and/or false talk,) you could have been imprisoned for up to 20 years."