Chapter 20

“Good morning” I said as I kept my bag on the floor and occupied my seat beside Niall.

“Good morning” He retorted smiling at me. His voice sounded completely broken and eyes lost its blue sparkle.

“Are you okay?” I furrowed my eye-brows.

“Yes, I’m fine.”

“No you’re not.” I said and touched his cheeks, forehead and neck to realize that he is having fever.

“You’re having fever.” My heart sunk.

He bent his head down resting it on both of his palms as his elbows rested on the desk.

“It’s all because of me. You got drenched that day in rain and I knew you would get sick.” I sobbed.

He looked at me, wrapped his left arm around my shoulders and responded,” Look, I’ll be fine okay? I’ll buy some medicines on my way home and I’ll be fine.” He smiled.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, baby.” He replied as he kissed my right cheek.

Sir Bose arrived in class shortly afterwards with the answer scripts of our test from last week in his hands. Everyone sighed and whispered among themselves.

“I’ve checked all the papers. Everyone was good but Lily Thomson stood out from the rest. She scored 17 out of 20 which is the highest marks.”

I fell the ground got swept off from under my feet. I couldn’t believe what I just heard.

17 out of 20?

He came forward to distribute the papers to everyone. As he reached me a “Keep it up” came out from his mouth. I smiled and nodded before grabbing my answer script.

“Congrats baby” Niall said as he squeezed my right cheek.

I giggled and nodded.

“What’s your score?” I asked.

“14”

“Great”

The class soon began with Sir Bose resuming to teach the rest of the play “Candida”.

Anyway, the class got over after the scheduled 35 minutes mark and so did the other two classes of Madam DaGama and Madam Natasha. I scored the highest marks in Madam DaGama’s paper “Riders to the Sea” also with a 16 out of 20. Niall got 15. However, I missed out on the top spot for just two marks in the poetries section belonging to Madam Natasha as I got a 15 out 20 while Ruchika got a 17.

“So you’ve been the queen since morning, huh?” Niall said as we grabbed our food trays and occupied a table at the centre.

“I think I have been that.” I smiled widely as I took a bite from my chicken hot dog.

Niall stared at me pointlessly. His eyes shining like a newly polished sapphire.

“What?” I blushed.

“I love to see you smile.”

And I love you.

I continued blushing as a grin cropped up on my lips.

The lunch-hour was over soon as we headed to our classroom for the next two classes to begin. Niall held my hands on our way to the classroom and I could feel that he was super sick with his skin burning like a ball of fire. I looked at him to see the bright paleness of his skin has faded considerably as now he looked weak.

“Niall, are you sure you’ll be able to take care of yourself alone?” I inquired as we entered the classroom.

“Why do you ask that?”