Chapter 40

Today is the second last day of April month. I had a pretty boring day of simply watching television and missing Niall until noon when Rita called me up to invite me to her brother’s birthday party at night. I rejected at first because I wasn't in the mood to be around such buzz and loud atmosphere as a party but she insisted me too much to not accept at the end. Her house was very close to Marvin’s which was just a bus ride from college so reaching there after 8.00 Pm wouldn't be a problem either as I needed to write and then submit my work assignments too.

After lunch, I crashed on the couch while watching “Sweet November” that played on HBO but I didn't know when I fell asleep. I got up at 5.00 Pm only to find myself running to my room to turn off the computer and read my today’s work assignments. I expected four very tough topics like I've been receiving since my semesters ended but fortunately I was given two edits and one written which was averagely easy. I went to the bathroom to pee and wash my face to freshen up. I went to the living room again and turned off the television, lights and fan before drawing a chilled water bottle from the refrigerator. I went to my room and increased the rotating speed of the ceiling fan to its highest limit as I occupied the chair before my computer table to commence doing my work assignments.

It was about 8.00 Pm when I submitted my work assignments. I tilted my head from one side to another and stretched my arms to push away my fatigue. My buttocks pained from sitting on the chair for so long but I had no other choice. I did think of those times when I just relaxed by leaning against the pillows on Niall’s bed with my legs stretched out and typed on his laptop. When he had fever and I stayed with him for a few days, he used to press my legs and rub my neck after I finished writing. At night he would always provide me with the softer pillow because I cannot sleep without one and always give me the larger part of the covers which is why most mornings I found myself almost completely covered while he wasn't. His breakfasts in bed also crossed my mind and not to forget the appetizing coffees he used to make.

I miss him so much, I love him so much.

Somehow, I drove away the thoughts and left my chair. I opened the wardrobe and pulled out my black skinny jeans and a yellow sleeveless shirt along with my black sling bag. I went to the bathroom and took a very quick shower before coming out to change into the jeans and shirt. I slipped a watch down my left wrist. I tied my hair into a messy bun and dumped a little cash, my mobile, purse and other required stuffs inside the bag. I turned off the lights and ceiling fan as I walked to the living room. I grabbed the keys from the centre-table and wore a pair of yellow bellies. I left the apartment and locked it shut behind me as I boarded the elevator to hit the road for Rita’s house.

Once I hit the road, I sped up my pace because I had to buy something for Rita’s brother. I was bewildered and didn't know what to buy at all hence; I just decided to buy him chocolates. On taking the turn, I went over to a confectionery shop and brought a pack of chocolates that cost me 200 rupees. I instructed them to wrap it in a gift paper and stick a gift card that cost me another 20 rupees. I borrowed a pen from them and scribed ‘Happy Birthday Kushal’ on the gift card. I left the shop hurriedly as I checked from my watch that it was 8.25 Pm. I walked across the street and moved right to the opposite of college as I waited for the bus to arrive. After a few minutes, the bus came and it was quite heavily crowded. I had to board as it was getting late. I somehow boarded it and scooped my way through the sea of people most of whom stunk badly and somehow managed to hold the rod above. I bought the ticket soon and thankfully, the driver drove really fast and nice. I got dropped off right before Marvin’s at exactly 9.05 Pm. I didn't look anywhere but galloped my way rightwards to cover a few distance before I reached a white building. I entered the building and boarded the elevator quickly. I pressed ‘5’ button and waited patiently before the machine dinged at the fifth floor. I got off the elevator and turned to my left as I rang the door bell of Rita’s apartment. I heard loud sounds coming from inside. After a few minutes, she opened the door.