Chapter 8: Guts

Rick held Indigo close as they moved back up to the rooftop, the rest following behind. As they slammed the door open to the roof, Indigo was blinded by the bright sun which a group of dark clouds threatened to cover. Rick observed the layout of the city soon spotting a truck at a construction site close to their location. Indigo looked at the area, her pa use to drive a big truck, she used to get to sit on his lap and he would let her steer. She looked down at the ground saddened by the memory.

"That construction site..." Rick stated out loud, "Those trucks...they always keep keys on hand." Morales shot him a look of disapproval.

"You'll never make it past the walkers." Morales said as Rick turned to Glenn.

"You got me out of that tank."

Glenn took his cap off, his hand combing through his scruffy dark hair, "Yeah, but they were feeding. They were distracted."

Rick bit his lip, "Can we distract them again?"

Indigo knew what Rick was thinking and she didn't like it. If he died then she would be alone...or at least be alone with these people and she didn't want that. They were nice and all, but they weren't Rick. Merles voice from the pipe caught the groups attention, "Right. Listen to him. He's onto something. A diversion, like on "Hogan's Heroes."

Jacqui rolled her eyes at the man, "God. Give it a rest."

"They're drawn by sound, right?" Rick questioned pointing at the walkers below.

"Right, like dogs. They hear a sound, they come." Glenn agreed as he eyed the dead.

"What else?" Rick asked as Indigo eyed the walkers.

"They smell really bad." Indigo said scrunching up her face. The group grinned at the little girls facial expression. Morales focus went back to the list of disadvantages.

"Aside from they hear you? They see you, smell you and if they catch you, they eat you."

"They can really tell us by smell?" Rick said in awe and disappointment. Indigo was at a loss of words, she didn't think they'd actually be able to smell people.

"Can't you?" Glenn replied to him waving towards what the girl had said before then at the dead. Rick thought of it and did see their points.

"They smell dead, we don't. It's pretty distinct." Andrea said and the group went quiet eyeing the walkers.

"So what's the plan?" Glenn asked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rick handed out accessories and outfits within the store to the others who all took them reluctantly.

"If bad ideas were an Olympic event, this would take the gold." Glenn said dreading the thought of being eaten alive.

"He's right. Just stop, okay? Take some time to think this through." Morales agreed trying to convince Rick.

"How much time?" Rick argued, "They already got through one set of doors, that glass won't hold forever."

Indigo's hand tightened on Ricks white outfit. He felt the small hands slight tug. He knew the girl didn't want him to go but if it was already a small slim of hope that this would work and help them all escape, he was taking the chance. Indigo stays put with Jacqui and Andrea as the men go outside taking down a walker. They drag the corpse inside past the women. Indigo wanted to gag at the dead walker but she knew it was going to be a regular sight.