Chapter 14: Fishing and Shovels

Indigo sat beside Amy and Andrea who were quietly talking amongst each other.

"What?" Amy asked noticing Andrea staring.

"Nothing. "

"It's not nothing." Amy grinned, "It's always something."

"Didn't dad teach you to tie nail knots?" Andrea finally asked. Indigo turned her head now listening to the sisters conversation. They never talked about their dad till now.

"Why would he do that?" Amy questioned, "He only ever used a fisherman's knot. One knot."

"No, he didn't. No, he tied at least three."

"Clinch knots?" Amy asked her older sister. Indigo had no idea what they were talking about, pa never got the chance to take her fishing. The thought saddened her.

"No way. Fine, I'm making it up." Andrea mumbled then looked at her younger sister again, "Did dad teach you mostly dry lures?"

"Yeah. You?" Amy replied.

"Wet."

"You're kidding." Amy told her in shock, "But he was always so adamant. I mean, you know dad on the fishing thing."

"Gee, you think? I only spent my entire childhood with my ass in a boat." Andrea chuckled, "But in my day it was all about getting the hook seated. We were fishing for the dinner table."

"Not us. We always threw them back." Amy replied proud, "Always."

Andrea shrugged, "I guess he changed things up."

"But that'd be like changing his religion or something."

Andrea laughed then smiled, "People change. It's not his fault we were born 12 years apart."

"No. No, because the minute you went off to college it was my ass in that boat and he taught me dry lures from day one." Amy told her, "This was not behaviour developed over time."

"You think he did it for us?" She questioned.

"Because he knew we were so different." Amy said tying another knot, "He knew that you needed to catch the fish and I needed to throw them back."

"All right, remember his rule: No crying in the boat. It scares the fish."

"Mom and dad...I mean, maybe Florida wasn't hit so bad." Amy said quietly, "Maybe it's better there. Do you think?"

"I think you have a bite. Even with the wrong knots."

Amy face quickly changed to panic, "Oh God. So much for the no crying rule."

Indigo giggled wildly as Andrea patted her back, "I think that was more for dad than the fish."

The girls smiled.

------

Dale stood tall on top of the RV keeping watch of the camp. He had seen no walkers but he did see Jim over a couple of bushes digging holes. He realises that Jim has been at it for quite awhile placing down his binoculars concerned for the man and the group.

---------

T-Dog, Daryl, Glenn and Rick still stare at Merle's severed hand. Daryl turns his crossbow on T-Dog to kill him, but Rick pulls out his Python.

"I won't hesitate." Rick said, "I don't care if every walker in the city hears it."

Daryl realises Rick is being honest and lowers his crossbow, "You got a do-rag or something?"