Chapter 13: Need a Hand

Rick slips into his police uniform as he walks past Shane.

"So that's it, huh?" Shane grabbed Ricks arm, "You're just gonna walk off? Just to hell with everybody else?"

Rick shook Shane's hand off of his arm, "I'm not saying to hell with anybody..."

"Lori least of all. Tell her that."

"She knows." Rick replied softly.

"Well, look, I...I don't, okay, Rick? So could you just...could you throw me a bone here, man?" Shane paced a bit as he looked at Rick upset, "Could you just tell me why? Why would you risk your life for a douche bag like Merle Dixon?"

"Hey, choose your words more carefully." Daryl spat passing them.

"No, I did. Douche bag's what I meant." Shane yelled, "Merle Dixon...the guy wouldn't give you a glass of water if you were dying of thirst."

"What he would or wouldn't do doesn't interest me." Rick told him buttoning up his over shirt, "I can't let a man die of thirst. Thirst and exposure. We left him like an animal caught in a trap. That's no way for anything to die, let alone a human being."

Lori walked over to Rick, "So you and Daryl, that's your big plan?"

Ricks eyes shifted over to Glenn who's face quickly turned upset. "Oh, come on."

"You know the way. You've been there before...in and out, no problem. You said so yourself." Rick said trying to convince him, "It's not fair of me to ask...I know that, but I'd feel a lot better with you along. I know she would too."

"That's just great. Now you're gonna risk three men, huh?" Shane spat and T-Dog stepped up.

"Four."

Daryl huffs, "My day just gets better and better, don't it?"

T-Dog rolled his eyes at the Dixon, "You see anybody else here stepping up to save your  brother's cracker ass?"

"Why you?" Daryl questioned.

"You wouldn't even begin to understand." T-Dog stated, "You don't speak my language."

"That's four." Dale repeated.

Shane looked at Dale then peered at Rick, "It's not just four. You're putting every single one of us at risk. Just know that, Rick. Come on, you saw that Walker. It was here. It was in camp. They're moving out of the cities. They come back, we need every able body we've got. We need 'em here. We need 'em to protect camp."

"It seems to me what you really need most here are more guns." Rick spat back.

"Right, the guns." Glenn said holding the last part.

Shane's eyes widened a little at that remark, "Wait. What guns?"

"Six shotguns, two high-powered rifles, over a dozen handguns. I cleaned out the cage back at the station before I left." Rick said, "I dropped the bag in Atlanta when Indigo and I got swarmed. It's just sitting there on the street, waiting to be picked up."

"Ammo?" Shane asked out of curiosity.

"700 rounds, assorted."