Chapter 40: Beside the Dying Fire

The night was silent as she opened her eyes. Her hands were shaking as she stared in terror, she had killed a man. Her eyes began to well up with tears as she broke down, only her loud cries filling the dead of night.

"O-oh god-I-I killed him."

Rick carefully took the gun from her placing it in his waist band. He went to embrace her as she backed away. She stared at her hands to face them towards her, they were shaking harder now.

"Don't come near me." She cried, "I-I don't want to hurt you."

Rick was saddened by the small girls silhouette. She looked up at him, half her face covered by the shadows and the other half exposed to the moonlight. Rick stepped towards her holding the scared girl, "you aren't going to hurt me, Indi. You're so strong sweetie. If you didn't do what you did...I would be the one lying there...and maybe even you."

"B-but it doesn't make it any better." She choked on her tears, "I killed him, Rick. I'm a...murderer."

The two were silent for a brief moment when the all too familiar sound of moans filled the air. Rick let go of her staring into the darkness for what seemed like forever. She warily looked down to her side feeling a sharp pain, fresh blood stained her clothes. Indigo stared in disbelief, Shane must have stabbed her before she even managed to get to him. She wasn't quick enough but there was no time to dwell.

"Rick..."

Indigo turned around staring into the darkness faced with the various silhouettes of death itself. Rick grabbed her arm dragging her towards the direction of Hershel's farm.

"We...we gotta get to the house, tell the others."

"We'll never get through that." Indigo stuttered as Rick eyed every direction.

"Can't go around, either." Rick muttered as he looked back at the dead, "Indi, stay close."

"O-okay, Rick." She held his hand tight as they brushed through the long grass towards the farm where they could see the others turning off the lights. Her other hand covering her wound.

"They can see." Indigo whispered softly, "They see the walkers."

Before they even reached the farm, more monsters came from their left side as they made a sharp turn to the right. Indigo following close behind him.

"Oh shit. All right. Okay." Rick led Indigo towards a ladder near the barn the group had found Sophia in, "Up there. Hurry."

"What about you?" Indigo asked one hand on the ladder.

"I'll be right there." Rick said to her. He gave her a lighter as she hesitantly took it.

"Drop the lighter when I say." Rick told her carefully, "We'll stop some of them from reaching the house and distract the others, so at least we'll have a chance."

Indigo looked at him nervously nodding, "Hey-hey-hey, look at me. You can do this. Indigo...I love you." Rick told her softly. She smiled slightly, he had never said those words to her...'love'...she missed that word. Rick tapped her back as the walkers groans grew louder, "All right, go-go-go."

Rick ran out from under her as she heard him yell.

"Hey! Hey! You want some?! Come and get it! Come on! Come on! Come on! Over here! Come on, over here. Come on, over here!"