First Tour, Last Tour?

Edited — 28/09/2020

^Gracie's PoV^

"Ollie! You're taking me to the hangar aren't you?" I shout as I finish adjusting my uniform.

Today was the day I was going on tour, my first tour, to Kenya for an outreach project and to help as many people as humanly possible.

"Yes Gracie, I am. Your kit's in the car now come on, Charlie's waiting." I hear Ollie shout.

I take a deep breath and then nod to myself before running down the stairs.

As I reach the bottom I smile, Ollie stops me and adjusts my beret.

"There. Now you're ready Gracie, I'm gonna miss you lots." He said and I smiled at him.

"Don't go all soppy on me now big brother. I'm going to miss you too.." I got in the car. It was only the two of us at the house we rented in Manchester, our parents had died when we were only little. Ollie had raised me and made sure I had the best life, Elvis Harte, my brothers best mate in the entire universe was like my second brother, both Ollie and Elvis always did their best to protect me and so did all of the lads in 2 Section, and also Allie Cameron. One of the most important people in my life.

The drive was silent and I knew that Ollie was worried about me. We arrived at the hangar in less than half an hour and I got out of the car and grabbed all of my kit, slinging it over my shoulder.

Captain James, was a father figure to me. All I really had for parental guidance was him.

He smiled and I dropped my kit to hug him, he accepted the hug and went to grab my kit.

"It's all good Boss. I've got it." I said and slung my medical bergen over my shoulder and my other two bags before loading them into the plane.

I waved at everyone but before I greeted everyone properly I turned on my heel and saw Ollie stood with Elvis waiting.

I ran over to them and hugged Ollie first; then Elvis.

"You boys behave, Ollie make sure you keep the house clean, Elvis if he needs it give him a kick up the arse. I love you both." I said and hugged them both again.

"Love you too Gracie, stay safe okay?" Ollie said with an unconvincing smile.

I nodded. I blew kisses to my brothers and then got in the plane. Greeting everyone too, enjoying being back with my army family.

I took a seat next to Allie and Fingers, the plane began to ascend and they were off. My last thoughts were of my brothers and how they'd cope without me there to boss them around.

     —//—Kenya—\\—

I had slept on the plane and finally awoke when Allie shook my shoulder gently.

"Hey Grace, we're here honey." I heard the whisper and it tickled my ear. I roused and then quickly gathered my things and exited the plane.

We were all shown our quarters once arriving at the base and I immediately went to the medical tent and met the staff, though not many they were kind and extremely experienced.

Once I'd gotten acquainted with everyone I heard Captain James shout for us.

I ran over and stood in line.

"At ease, right guys scoff and then get some rest, Monk you're on rations. Gracie on me a second." I nodded and followed Charlie.

"You doing okay Grace?" Charlie asked.

"Yep Boss. Stop treating me like a little kid. I can handle myself out here. I'm a medic and I know what I'm doing Charlie." I reassured him.

"Right then. Scoff and bed." He repeated and squeezed my arm before letting me go and then walking to his tent.